CBR1100XX.org Forum

18 ft lbs - torque spec for steering head bearings

Hobicus

Just wanted to make sure... it's really only 18 ft pounds for the steering head bearings.

Is that still true for the tapered variety?

For the steering head I don't use the torque wrench. It requires the expensive Honda specialty tool. I do it by feel. Just barely snug the rings down, then turn the front end from one stop the other. Tighten/loosen the rings till you get a nice smooth feel with just a little resistance.

Also put the bike on the centerstand and have someone push down on the rear of the bike to bounce the front end up and down. Feel for any play/movement at the top and bottom of the steering stem.

Repeat the above steps in a week or so. I had to retighten the rings just a little bit (like 5-10 degrees) after a couple hundred miles.

For the steering head I don't use the torque wrench. It requires the expensive Honda specialty tool. I do it by feel. Just barely snug the rings down, then turn the front end from one stop the other. Tighten/loosen the rings till you get a nice smooth feel with just a little resistance.

Also put the bike on the centerstand and have someone push down on the rear of the bike to bounce the front end up and down. Feel for any play/movement at the top and bottom of the steering stem.

Repeat the above steps in a week or so. I had to retighten the rings just a little bit (like 5-10 degrees) after a couple hundred miles.

Mile High was nice enough to send his expensive Honda tool, which is why I'm asking.

18 ft. lbs. was too tight for mine when I put the tapered bearings in. There's instructions for checking the pull weight in the manual. I think it's 3 lbs. to pull the forks from center to full lock. If you have them too tight you'll get a slow weave at highway speeds. Which is what mine did. IIRC it took around 10 lbs. of pull to get my bars to move at 18ft. lbs. I had to back it down to around 14 or 15 to get the pull weight into spec.

Sadly... I don't know what my own sense of feel is supposed to be... I was hoping to eliminate my 45mph wobble.. which I think was caused by it being too loose...

Oh well, as long as I have the tool, it's not horrible to adjust stuff, so I'll just see how it works out.

Sadly... I don't know what my own sense of feel is supposed to be... I was hoping to eliminate my 45mph wobble.. which I think was caused by it being too loose...

Oh well, as long as I have the tool, it's not horrible to adjust stuff, so I'll just see how it works out.

Rich,

When i did mine I snugged it down to 18 Ft Lbs... Just make sure that once done, that the forks can be turned w/o a lot of resistance. I'm happy to be of service with the ol' tool. Keep it around for a few days after you adjust steering. That way if you need to re-torque or need to loosen it up, you'll have the tool to do it with.