CBR1100XX.org Forum

Tire Age

runner

We all basically know that the rectangular box on the sidewall has the tire age...1st 2 digits are the week of mfg, last 2 are year of mfg... Ex. 1205= 12th week of 2005 when made.

The question is what is acceptable as a mfg. date when bought from the dealer/mailorder company?

Just checked 2 brand new tires on the bird and the front was made in Dec 06 and the rear in Feb of 05.

Over 2 years old (the rear) kinda bothers me when I just bought them assuming they were brand new....

Does anyone have a general rule?

FYI...Always check the date of manufacture when buying!

:icon_confused:

The tires used by the XX are a very common size. Did you buy a rare brand or from a low volume seller?

Like Brett, all the tires I've bought were manufactured with in three months. I mostly buy from swmototires, which does a high volume. So their tires are fresh.

Dunlop 205's from a hi-volume dealer...live and learn....

But I will report back on how long these things last.

I usually run Michelins or Avons and was in need of the tire immediately.

Next time I will wait for a shipment of decent treads...

Dunlop 205's from a hi-volume dealer...live and learn....

But I will report back on how long these things last.

I usually run Michelins or Avons and was in need of the tire immediately.

Next time I will wait for a shipment of decent treads...

Dunlop 205's will last almost forever !! I think they actually chiseled them out of stone at one time!

205's will outlast any normal rubber tire by a long shot, just don't lean over on wet pavement as they have virtually no wet grip at all.

Worst tire I ever experienced on a Bird !

And weren't the 205's replaced with the 220s??? If so, then the 205s would be rather old. The 205 was probably my LEAST favorite of the Dunlops... And Dunlop is not my favorite brand.

judging by the other responses to the initial post I think I'm not reading it right but......

I will not buy a tire that's more than 70 weeks old (almost a yeah ans a half) mostly I bitch if they are not under 4 months old especially if they are going on race bikes. I thought it would be no bigg deal on dirt tires so I bought some 3 year old knobbies and ran an enduro and at the end of it I had no knobbies left on them. You could kick them off with a boot!