CBR1100XX.org Forum

HUGE mileage drop

blkbrdrydr

I recently replaced my K&N air filter with a new OEM Honda filter and also changed my sparkplugs (IMR9A-9H).

Tonight I found that my mileage has dropped from 38 mpg to approximately 15 mpg.

The bike "seems" to be running smoothly, accelerating normally but... draining the fuel tank like there was a hole in the bottom.

When I got home, I removed the tank and started to try and find if I'd forgotten to plug something back in when the air filter housing was removed for the sparkplug change but everything was properly connected.

I had purchased a couple sets of plugs from Sparkplugs.com in 2002 and this was the second set that I'd installed so that they were about 5 years old but... so were the ones that I'd just removed after 24,000 miles of use in the bike and they were just fine.

Any guesses as to what used to be connected and may not be connected now that would have caused a mileage change this drastic?

I recently replaced my K&N air filter with a new OEM Honda filter and also changed my sparkplugs (IMR9A-9H).

Tonight I found that my mileage has dropped from 38 mpg to approximately 15 mpg.

The bike "seems" to be running smoothly, accelerating normally but... draining the fuel tank like there was a hole in the bottom.

When I got home, I removed the tank and started to try and find if I'd forgotten to plug something back in when the air filter housing was removed for the sparkplug change but everything was properly connected.

I had purchased a couple sets of plugs from Sparkplugs.com in 2002 and this was the second set that I'd installed so that they were about 5 years old but... so were the ones that I'd just removed after 24,000 miles of use in the bike and they were just fine.

Any guesses as to what used to be connected and may not be connected now that would have caused a mileage change this drastic?

Check the Crankcase and see if any gas is in there. I would get 60 miles on a tank. Fuel was also blown into the exhaust system. A faulty fuel pressure regulator was my problem. Stuck on full pressure. Good luck..

You disconnected the battery and it reset your trip meter.

:icon_doh:

If you really dropped that many MPG you would smell the raw fuel coming from the exhaust. So do you smell it?

You disconnected the battery and it reset your trip meter.

Because I'm secure enough to let people throughout the world know that I'm a complete dumbass... I'll end this thread by mentioning that I'd changed the plugs and air filter on July 8th. I refilled the almost empty gas tank on July 9th AND.... I installed my new Westco battery on July 12th. :icon_redface: