CBR1100XX.org Forum

Coolant level never changes in reservoir

Rider99XX

What will cause the coolant level to NEVER change in the overflow reservior even when riding in stop and go traffic here in the deep south in the summer? I've even done some track days in south LA and it never changed. Regardless of where the gauge reads the fluid level never changes. The gauge has never pegged out but will run at the upper end of the normal range in stop and go traffic. It stays at the bottom end of the scale on the hwy.

I've checked the line from the radiator to the overflow and it's clear.

Any suggestions????

HELP!!!!

What will cause the coolant level to NEVER change in the overflow reservior even when riding in stop and go traffic here in the deep south in the summer? I've even done some track days in south LA and it never changed. Regardless of where the gauge reads the fluid level never changes. The gauge has never pegged out but will run at the upper end of the normal range in stop and go traffic. It stays at the bottom end of the scale on the hwy.

I've checked the line from the radiator to the overflow and it's clear.

Any suggestions????

HELP!!!!

Mine doesn't change hardly any, either... I think part of it is that the whole system only has a coolant capacity of just under a gallon, and the part that gets hot is less than 3/4 of a gallon... Expansion from 3/4 gallon is MUCH less than expansion from 4 gallons in your car...

Mike

How in the heck can you tell if it ever changes. My recovery tank has a coating on the inside that makes it impossible to see where the coolant level it. I guess you could take it out and give it a good cleaning, but IIRC you have to remove the swingarm to get the tank out. Not my idea of fun.

I use a welding rod as a dipstick to check the level.

How in the heck can you tell if it ever changes. My recovery tank has a coating on the inside that makes it impossible to see where the coolant level it. I guess you could take it out and give it a good cleaning, but IIRC you have to remove the swingarm to get the tank out. Not my idea of fun.

I use a welding rod as a dipstick to check the level.

Lift up the tank, and shine a light behind the bottle, and shake the bike.

Mike

My tank is really clean and white, not the easiest to see but not that hard either. Makes me think the fluid is not making it to and from the tank like it should.

What's making you believe there is a problem? Does the engine run very hot? When I stop after a ride in very warm weather, a bubbling sound from the resevoir can sometimes be heard .

Well, it does run, in traffic, at the upper end of the gauge. It's never boiled over and I've never heard any sounds comming from the reservior. I know that sound as I've heard it in cars before. I check the bike over before each ride and the level is EXACTLY the same before and after a ride. late last fall I changed the coolant, burped the radiator like the manuel says to, topped off the reservior as instructed, and to this day the level has remained exactly where I filled it to. Even in heavy traffic when it's 96 degrees outside it doesn't change as I've checked it at fuel stops.

I would have thought that sometime the level would have changed a little one way or another.

Maybe I worry too much.

It's always good to be awake and check that things are OK. I don't think you have a problem with the bike though.

I've been thinking for quite some time (a year...) to replace the clutch and brake fluid. Well, it wasn't a day to early this night. The fluid was real brown...I can definitly feel a difference how the brake engages now, and it was very good already before. Cheap brake improvement and the risk for leakage in the hydrualic system is also less with fresh brake fluid that wakes up old sealings.

What year is your Bird? Certain years run hotter than others.

I think they all run the same, it's just that you can see digital temperature with the later FI 'birds, and you just have an unmarked guage on the earlier ones...

Mike

The Bird has a closed cooling system. All the coolant stays in the system. Take the bike for a ride on a hot day then pull into the garage and let it run until the fan comes on. Shut the bike off, get a cold one out of the fridge and go back and turn the ignition on. I bet the temp would be up there in the heart attack zone. You might even hear some diareaha sounds from the motor.

The engine is going thru a heat soak. It is full of hot water and an even hotter parts and no cooling what so ever. The internal water pressure will eventually overcome the pressure release spring in the cap and blow the water under pressure into the recovery bottle. Later on, as the coolant in the block cools off and the volume reduces, a partial vacuum is created and this allows the internal vent in the cap to open slightly and the vaccum sucks the overflow back into the system.

My 02 fan comes on at 215 and I have seen as high as 245 after a 5 minute heat soak at 95 deg.

An oversimplification would be... Take 2 -1 quart rear end lube bottles with the tapered caps. Have one 1/2 full and the other 1/4 full. Take 2 feet of tubing and connect the 2 caps together.

Hold the 1/4 full one upside down above your head with your left hand. This is your overflow bottle.

Hold the 1/2 full one in your right hand. This is your radiator.

Squeeze the radiator and see what happens and then release it.

Or just fill the overflow bottle on the bike to the top while it is cold. Go for a ride and shut the bike off. About 5 minutes later, coolant will be peeing all over the right side of the bike.

Mine is a 99 also. I know they run hot, so I do not worry about it. Mid 90's in traffic and the guage is close to the H but has not yet hit it. As soon as I get rolling the temp drops down below mid-point. I would say as long as your guage doesn't go into the red, your bike is fine.

Just my .02.