CBR1100XX.org Forum

Pilot Roads

redxxrdr

Had my rear PR blow at 2900 miles. :icon_redface: 65 mph.

41 psi when I left this morning. The pop was so loud that I heard it through a full face Shoei and ear plugs.

The bike stayed stable, and I was able to get her stopped. The only issue was being in the middle of no-where with no cell coverage.

I found a 1 inch gash in the center of the tire. I had pulled off the road earlier, and must have picked up something. :icon_rolleyes:

The PR's may not be perfect, but they were great in a blowout . Guess SW Moto is getting more of my money Monday. :icon_evilgrin:

Is this the normal way the bird handles a flat?

This season I've put about 4000 miles on my first set of Pilot Roads, at first I didn't like them. I had come to prefer the "V" shape of the Pilot Powers I rode previously. But once I got use to the "U" profile, I liked them. I don't ride hard enough to need a stickier tire like the Pilot Powers, so I'll take the longer life of the Pilot Roads.

Damn, Craig, that's some scary shit there! Glad you were able

to maintain control and bring the bike to a stop without loosing

it. On the way home from Deals Gap yesterday I rolled mine up

to 130 for a few seconds on hwy. 27. Can't imagine my reaction

if the same thing had happened at that speed - or in a curve.

For what it's worth, I am now on my third set of Pilot Roads, and

for me, personally, they are a great tire. They take some getting

used to, as Matt said, but they stick good and will reward you with

about 6 - 6.5k miles, but by that point, you'd better replace them

as wet traction (normally excellent) begins to rapidly diminish, and

they'll start to feel like Dunslops.

My next door neighbor had 2 brand new Roads (rears) go flat on

him within a month's time, but it wasn't the tire's fault. He didn't

use good judgement in parking at work (metal fabrication shop)

and both times picked up steel shit by riding too near the shop. Duh.

The Road's rubber may be prone to easier penetration by road debris,

as one of his tires had a 1" gash in the sidewall near the tread, and

the second one picked up a metal screw. Maybe it was bad Karma.

I just had my rear Pilot road go flat a couple weeks ago. Luckily it was sitting in the garage and I noticed it when I hopped on to ride to work. Also luckily I had a new one sitting in the garage because I was going to replace it the following week anyway.

The handling on the worn tire was getting horrible anyway because of all the highway commuting I do. Once the tire gets that flat spot from lots of highway miles, it starts to feel unstable in turns.

I'm glad to hear you were able to stop with the flat. I've never had a flat while riding and I've ridden at least 150,000 miles in my life, so I don't know how tough it is to handle. I do know I wouldn't want a flat while high speed cruising like I was doing in Montana last weekend at over 165mph.

I do know I wouldn't want a flat while high speed cruising like I was doing in Montana last weekend at over 165mph.

You were in my state abusing the roads like that, you crazy bastard! Easy to do though especially anywhere east of the Rockies.

You know I must admit I have never seen another Blackbird in the flesh, other than my own, I am so sheltered...lol.

I agree that I would not want a flat at +5. And I can't imagine having one on the roads Doug showed me.

But compared to my last one on my old Yamaha 250 two stroke (RD 250?) this was great.

I remembered some Codes training. Loose grip on the bars, let her slow down by herself. Straight and stable.

What ever caused the damage was in the groove of the tread, shortest distance to the inside, and cut the steel belts.

D208's usually last me 3500-4000 miles, so 2900 is not too horrible.

Replacements are on order, and I hope to riding again by the weekend.

The Roads are great for my riding. My last takeoff was at 9500 miles and I could put it back on.

Yes they step out when pushed, but at MY limits, they are predictable.

I will look for F.O.D more often, and try to choose my pulloffs better.

Had a Metzler M3 rear go flat at about 50 miles per hour heading into a corner. Felt strange and unstable but there was no issue with slowing down with out using the brakes much. At the lower speeds it felt way more unstable and like a very very heavy bike. Glad to hear you had no issues with getting it stopped.

Brian