CBR1100XX.org Forum

Brake Rotor Info - 2002

2xx2

Hey guys.... Long story short. My shop bent my left front rotor changing out tires. They arn't a Honda stealer, but I've used them for over 25 years. They have always done great work. They are going to make it right, or so they say. What do you think is really fair? Dicking around looking for a decent used rotor, or ordering a new one pronto to get me back on the road ASAP? Should I insist that it's replaced with a Honda rotor? What do you think? The current rotor is OEM and has almost 8,000 miles on it. Should I insist that they put new pads on it also? I ended up driving about 40 miles.

Also, if anyone has the following info handy, please let me know. It's the front left (sitting on the bike) rotor. What is the cost new on these? Anyone have the part #?

BTW - My Bird is a 2002.

Many thanks for your opinions and info!

Cost is $280-$300 for a new OEM rotor. At 8K, yours was pretty much new. Kinda sucks for the dealer if you say they're good people, but if they are good people, they'll step up and replace it w/new. New pads would be a good idea, but if you wanted to give them a break (ha) you could sand your old ones down on something flat like a piece of glass and bed them in again on the new rotor.

It's going to have to be Honda to match the right one. Aftermarket is cheaper, but you'd have to buy two.

Is the rotor itself bent or just the carrier? If it's the carrier, just bend it back and go for a ride. It will take some patience, but I've done it on three of them so far with good results.

Where are you guys finding aftermarket rotors for our bikes that are cheaper? The OEM ones are like $250-300 a piece, and the Galfer wave rotors (only ones I can find) are nearly the same price! If I could find some cheaper aftermarket ones, I'd buy them.

Where are you guys finding aftermarket rotors for our bikes that are cheaper? The OEM ones are like $250-300 a piece, and the Galfer wave rotors (only ones I can find) are nearly the same price! If I could find some cheaper aftermarket ones, I'd buy them

When I bent one of mine in early '06, cheapest I could find OEM was around $280, IIRC. Indysuperbikes.com has Braking wave rotors for $226 each, or they did last I checked.

Where are you guys finding aftermarket rotors for our bikes that are cheaper? The OEM ones are like $250-300 a piece, and the Galfer wave rotors (only ones I can find) are nearly the same price! If I could find some cheaper aftermarket ones, I'd buy them

When I bent one of mine in early '06, cheapest I could find OEM was around $280, IIRC. Indysuperbikes.com has Braking wave rotors for $226 each, or they did last I checked.

You'd have to buy the other rotor if you went aftermarket.. and unless you're a seriously agressive rider I say just kid another OEM and be done with it.

I still dont understand how shops bend rotors changing tires. I've worked in shops for 17 years and never seen it.

I watched Wheeler fix a "bent rotor" - the carrier was bent - not the brake surface. He just clamped a marker to the fork, spun the wheel while moving the marker closer to the carrier. As the high spot passed the marker it placed a little ink on it. From there he hit it with a wood block and checked it again. He did this until the marker left a line around the entire circle.

The rotor/carrier worked as good as new.

Cool trick. Cheap fix. Good as new.

Walter