CBR1100XX.org Forum

Normal life expectancy of an R/R???

Fonzie

Just curious what the normal/average, expected lifespan of a regulator/rectifier would/should be???

Also.......would/could it be possible that the chrome bulb issue in my other thread would have anything to do with the bike suddenly cutting out while running (needles dropped, dash lights dim, bike starts running REAL rough at highway speeds....spitting & sputtering, backfiring, lurching, etc) Just brainstorming here. Bike is completely dead once I turned off, and then turned back on again.

And NO......I don't know anything about these vicious "trailer queen" allegations that are being spread around :icon_whistle:

Mine crapped out at 25,000 mi. but I was told by riding with my hi beem on during the day I may have helped it along.

Now that being said, I remember how crappy your battery terminals looked when it wouldn't start when loopin'. You should start with the simple stuff like connections, if your battery is more than 4 years old just replace it. Dielectric grease is your friend on all weather exposed connections.

I once had an 1157 bulb in my old Mustang, that worked, and tested OK with a cheap ohmmeter, but drew enough amps to regularly pop the circuit breaker. It seemed to have a short inside the base with just enough resistance to keep from burning the bulb, the socket, or the wiring up. It finally turned a toasty light brown color to give me a hint that it was the problem.

That one was the only bulb to do that out of many in my lifetime. YMMV.

Now that being said, I remember how crappy your battery terminals looked when it wouldn't start when loopin'. You should start with the simple stuff like connections, if your battery is more than 4 years old just replace it. Dielectric grease is your friend on all weather exposed connections.

Checked the terminals while I was waiting for Sam to get there, 'cause I was thinkin' the same thing.....both were tight.

One coat of orange paint and 1200+ miles in the rain! :icon_evilgrin:

I think it's at least 3 coats + clear Fucko!! :icon_twisted:

That one was the only bulb to do that out of many in my lifetime. YMMV.

Like I said......just brainstormin' trying to figure out what the hell's goin' on. BTW......What's YMMV??

Just put the R/R on brand new, 2 years ago. It's got about 9,000 miles on it. Battery was brand new at same time. Took battery out & in tonight for testing, but they were about to close, and it needed charged, so I'll find out in morning if it's shot or not

I don't think there is any "normal" life span for the R/R. On my 99 VFR, it went 124,000 before the R/R and the stator failed. I did have a fan on the R/R to keep it cool.

My BB has 58,000 and still on the original R/R and stator. Heat kills solid state electronics. The 99 BB R/R seems quite massive with lots of fins. It doesn't seem to get as hot as the R/R in the VFR.

Well SHEEEYITE.......just picked the battery up from being tested at the shop...DEAD, which should be good news. Came home to put in the garage, & start tracking down prices on a new one so maybe Sam & I can still go ridin' yet today......rear tire's FLAT!! Big screw/nail broke off in it, stickin' out like a shank! Musta picked it up while riding on the shoulder the other night :icon_wall:

I'm really thinkin' God don't want me ridin' today!! :icon_angel::icon_evil:

Well SHEEEYITE.......just picked the battery up from being tested at the shop...DEAD, which should be good news. Came home to put in the garage, & start tracking down prices on a new one so maybe Sam & I can still go ridin' yet today......rear tire's FLAT!! Big screw/nail broke off in it, stickin' out like a shank! Musta picked it up while riding on the shoulder the other night :icon_wall:

I'm really thinkin' God don't want me ridin' today!! :icon_angel::icon_evil:

Hey Fonz, if you battery was only two years old, be sure to check with a volt meter when you get the new battery in. With the short life of that other battery I would be suspicious of other issues like over charging or under charging witch could cause the early death of the last battery. It should be 13.5 to 14.5 when revved a couple thousand R's.