CBR1100XX.org Forum

New Honda Oil Filter 15410-MFJ-D01- Is this right?

sr71cbr1100xx

Yesterday I went to the Honda Dealer -Ridemotorsports in Woodinville and picked up an oil filter for an oil change and they said that the original filter I used 15410-MM9-013 has been superceded by 15410-MFJ-D01.

The new filter Height is shorter by a 1/4 of an inch - and I phoned again to check and they said they don't carry the old one anymore.

Does anyone know of this new filter. I always thought the smaller the filter the less filtering.

I started the bike up after the oil change with the new filter and it seems alright. Because the it is smaller its easier to hand tighten.

Scott

According to Hal on the Honda VTX forum it is a new filter for the cruisers to go along with the new Honda full synthetic oil:

Honda oil filter for the Rune NRX1800, ST1300, VTX1800, VTX1300 & GL1800, VT750 AERO FREE SHIPPING, 15410-MFJ-D01 Updated part number as of 04-18-07.

The original Honda filter for the cruisers (15410-MCJ-003) is also about 1/4" shorter than the CBR1100XX filter.

Looking down inside the two original filters, the CBR1100XX filter (15410-MM9-013) has a visible spring at the bottom which I would assume works the relief valve. The cruiser filter has a metal "button" sticking up from the bottom. Different designs internally, although the bases and outer diameters appear the same.

Edited to add: I just looked up the oil filter for the 2005 CBR1000RR on www.ronayers.com, and it also specified the shorter filter, 15410-MCJ-003, so I assume is was good for more performance than the cruiser line might require.