CBR1100XX.org Forum

Clock fuse pulling 10amps - WTF?

jblackbird2000

So I have some electrical gremlins again.

Following the trusty chart, I get to stop at the leak test. :icon_dance:

10 AMPS! :icon_shocked:

I've got a 2000, and never did the wire loom cleanout. Guess it's time for that.

Anyone got any other ideas I might want to consider?

Jay

OK, update on the issue.

The loom looked great, not one speck of dirt, corrosion or signs of water.

I tested the leak again with the loom apart, and it had no effect, still leaking 10amps.

I also disconnected the R/R, and still leaking 10amps.

The only way to stop it from leaking is pulling the clock fuse. I really, REALLY don't want to replace the entire wiring harness, that job would kill way too much of my time.

I am going to pull the dash next, and see if there's some visible crud around the clock, wires or circuit board.

Any other suggestions?

OK, update on the issue.

The loom looked great, not one speck of dirt, corrosion or signs of water.

I tested the leak again with the loom apart, and it had no effect, still leaking 10amps.

I also disconnected the R/R, and still leaking 10amps.

The only way to stop it from leaking is pulling the clock fuse. I really, REALLY don't want to replace the entire wiring harness, that job would kill way too much of my time.

I am going to pull the dash next, and see if there's some visible crud around the clock, wires or circuit board.

Any other suggestions?

Might want to check the resistance of the wires between the clock and the fuse block...

Might want to check the resistance of the wires between the clock and the fuse block...

Checked the path between the fuse block and the clock wire(I think) and got a 0.

Checking the resistance between the fuse block and the R/R, it read somewhere like 20. But then when I attached the ground cable and re-measured, the neddle flew off the meter. WTF?

Ok, here's where I'm at currently.

I've narrowed it down to the red wire going into the wire harness that plugs into the left side of the back of the dash. The clock wire.

I can't seem to find this harness represented in the schematic however. The harness that I'm referring to is white in color on my bike, and only has 9 wires in it.

The harness on the schematic has something like 15 wires drawn. And my wire colors don't match the schematic. However, it seems to disable the Tach, Fuel gauge, etc, exactly what the schematic shows it connects to.

Anyway, I've disconnected only the right most wire, which is Red/Green with gray dots. Now my clock dosen't work, but my fuel gauge and tach work fine. And most importantly, it's not leaking anymore.

So here's my questions.

What else isn't working that's not obvious from looking at my dash?

Is this definately my wire harness? If I install a new wire harness, it should fix this issue, correct?

Thanks guys!

Jay

Checked the path between the fuse block and the clock wire(I think) and got a 0.

Checking the resistance between the fuse block and the R/R, it read somewhere like 20. But then when I attached the ground cable and re-measured, the neddle flew off the meter. WTF?

Ok, here's where I'm at currently.

I've narrowed it down to the red wire going into the wire harness that plugs into the left side of the back of the dash. The clock wire.

I can't seem to find this harness represented in the schematic however. The harness that I'm referring to is white in color on my bike, and only has 9 wires in it.

The harness on the schematic has something like 15 wires drawn. And my wire colors don't match the schematic. However, it seems to disable the Tach, Fuel gauge, etc, exactly what the schematic shows it connects to.

Anyway, I've disconnected only the right most wire, which is Red/Green with gray dots. Now my clock dosen't work, but my fuel gauge and tach work fine. And most importantly, it's not leaking anymore.

So here's my questions.

What else isn't working that's not obvious from looking at my dash?

Is this definately my wire harness? If I install a new wire harness, it should fix this issue, correct?

Thanks guys!

Jay

Ride it and find out what doesn't work :icon_evilgrin:

How about running a wire from the clock directly to the battery and see what the draw is. That will at least tell you if it's the clock or the wire harness.

Ride it and find out what doesn't work :icon_evilgrin:

How about running a wire from the clock directly to the battery and see what the draw is. That will at least tell you if it's the clock or the wire harness.

Smart Man! Good troubleshooting. On both suggestions actually.

I jumped it, and it does seem to be the clock or the dash that's drawing the 10amps. Thanks for the sugggestion, that's a HUGE relief that I don't have to replace the entire wireharness.

I'm going to dig a little more, then put her back together. I think this is a project that can wait till winter...hopefully :icon_rolleyes:

So want to help me with your first suggestion and head to Ephrata tomorrow???