CBR1100XX.org Forum

New Radar Detector Install

RC Randy

Just finished installing the Beltronics RX65 on a Techmount and used the Marc Parnes Products visual alert. I used the hardwire kit, and routed the wire along the left side of bike and wire tied to main harness. I thought the Tech mount was pricey when I ordered, but this is a high quality unit, capable of about any orientation.

Also quite happy with the led light bar, as it will turn the cockpit red when it lights-VERY bright. Marc recommends unpluging it at nite so you don't get blinded.

Also, another bonus of the Beltronics detector, is that it you can program a display where it will show your voltage, and still see all of the alerts. I had been looking at voltmeters for the XX, and never found one I wanted to mount on the bike. Now hopefully I can catch the reg going bad a little earlier.

post-2092-1180284772.jpg

post-2092-1180284756.jpg

post-2092-1180284781.jpg

Just finished installing the Beltronics RX65 on a Techmount and used the Marc Parnes Products visual alert. I used the hardwire kit, and routed the wire along the left side of bike and wire tied to main harness. I thought the Tech mount was pricey when I ordered, but this is a high quality unit, capable of about any orientation.

Also quite happy with the led light bar, as it will turn the cockpit red when it lights-VERY bright. Marc recommends unpluging it at nite so you don't get blinded.

Also, another bonus of the Beltronics detector, is that it you can program a display where it will show your voltage, and still see all of the alerts. I had been looking at voltmeters for the XX, and never found one I wanted to mount on the bike. Now hopefully I can catch the reg going bad a little earlier.

post-2092-1180284772.jpg

post-2092-1180284756.jpg

post-2092-1180284781.jpg

i use the h.a.r.d. unit from leagal speeding.com and love it bought it back in 05 workd great

Just got back from a 2k mile trip from CT thru rural Carolinas & back with my RX65 mounted via suction cup to the windscreen & used its earplug jack to my helmet and earbuds for audio alert. Saved me 4x. They use Ka down there (K on the NJ Parkway) and the RX65 gave incredible advance alert. Delaware used instant on Ka with great hiding spots...only limit-abiding, flowing with traffic, or a jammer would help there.

Even up around 140, the suction mount held really well. During daylight hours, I am too busy looking around to trust a dash visual alert - impossible to miss the audio via headphone jack. Gotta find a "splitter" so I can run the MP3 to the headphones and have the RX65 interrupt the music. As it was, I had to choose between tunes or RX65. Be nice to find something like a "bluetooth" (wireless), self-powered visual alert that could affix inside the helmet. Waterproofing would be nice too.

Nice set-up & great detector!!

Be nice to find something like a "bluetooth" (wireless), self-powered visual alert that could affix inside the helmet. Waterproofing would be nice too.

The H.A.R.D. system mentioned above.

I've been using one for almost three years. Not waterproof, but where I've mounted it on the helmet it doesn't see much rain, and the sending unit gets covered with a baggie along with the detector if things turn foul.

BTW, careful using an audio splitter with a radar detector- the signal from your audio source can potentially backfeed the detector and damage it. Some sort of audio mixer is your best bet if you go that route.

Nice setup, Randy, I have the same stand for my GPS.

Since I have done the install, I've had a chance to go out for some riding and I have ended up moving the led bar on top of the detector with velcro so I can take it off and still use it in my other vehicles. The led block has a 52 degree angle on the bottom and it is the right angle to hit you eye level. There is NO way to miss it now.

I learned a couple of things, one being volume level affected the brightness of the led bar, even though the guy that sells them claims it didn't on his website instructions. When I first started using it (legal speeds) I only had half volume and caught myself missing it a couple of times. I then turned the volume to the highest level, and took the detector out of auto-mute and never missed the flash when it was under my speedo. It now flashes until you get out of radar range or you mute it with the button.

I just wanted the piece of mind of not missing it in case the sun was hitting me, and something else had my attention, even though I liked the original location of mounting better. The HARD system looks great, but I don't think they have one that works with Bel, and the Visual alert is $100 cheaper and doesn't need batterys.