CBR1100XX.org Forum

Fuel injection light came on......need assistance please.

Texhoss

I made a 40 mile trip & I stopped for 5 minutes the FI light came on coming out of the parking lot. I needed to beat the rain. The power was down some but made it home. I let the bike sit up for 5 minutes the FI light is working correctly. WTF happened, any ideas. The bike runs fine now.

The bike is a 2003 with 9000 miles.

My FI light used to go on for a scant couples seconds immediatley after I started it. Every time. I figured that was normal. I thought saw it faintly flicker a time or two also but I couldn't be sure so I didn't panic.

One day I cranked it and heard that the starter was spinning a LOT slower than, say, from a couple weeks earlier. I put it on a charger and it only moderatley helped. and FI light still lit on every start. So I got a new battery (at Wal Mart thank you) and not only did the bike crank faster than I have ever heard it but the FI light NEVER came on again (not including the self-test when turning the ignition on).

My guess: my weak battery was not running fuel pump as it should so the fuel pressure was decreased triggering the FI warning. As soon as the engine had a couple seconds to spin up, the voltage also corrected as did the fuel pump / pressure / FI light.

a new Wally World battery may be your cheapest first step...

I had about 70 miles on the tank of gas, when the FI light came on. I still have about 2 1/2 gal. of gas in the tank when I got home.

I ran 75 MPH for about 40 miles home the FI light never went out.

To save you a little trouble shooting time, there is no monitor for the fuel line pressure so it will not be related to the FI light. Download the manual and go through the procedure for reading the error codes stored in the EFI computer. Likely it is a connection to one or the other of your sensors causing the problem. The codes are quite helpful in finding just which one.

I agree with shovelstroked. Follow the troubleshooting guide and you'll likely find the culprit. If nothing shows up, just reset the codes and ride it to see if your FI light comes back on.