CBR1100XX.org Forum

Front End upgrade

telliot647

Hi all,

Sort-of newbie to the list here. I searched through the archives and have decided that I'm going to go with a set of RaceTec 1 Kg springs to replace my stockers. I'm also going to replace the steering head bearings at the same time with some All Balls tapered bearings. Now for the questions:

Here's the list of things I'm planning on replacing when I do the springs (descriptions from the Honda fiche):

Fork seal set

O-Ring

Bush Guide

Ring Backup

Ring

Are there any of these things that don't need to be replaced? Should I replace any other fork internal parts while it's apart? Any tips or tricks I should know before I begin? What's the consensus for fork oil weight (I'm 195# without gear)?

I do have the shop manual, and it's a 98 with almost 82K miles. I'm strictly a street rider, but I do like to tour on my bird.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Tom

I'm 185 without gear, and HONDA 5W was perfect for me... (not all 5W oils are acutally 5W... I do know that the Honda oil is actually 5W from the mag article awhile back)

I replaced all that stuff when I did the gold valves, but I'll tell you, you don't have to do any of that to replace the springs and oil... You just have to take the cap off the top and dump the oil out and change springs and spacers...

Mike

Go into the British Bird site, and visit Jaws. I suggest you order front springs from him, 100 mm over, 100 mm under for the spacers. You might want the pre-load adjusters. this should be not too expensive and will work well with a rear shimmed 6mm. My opinion.

Tom,

I've got a 97XX with 50K miles. I also weight 195#. A couple of months ago I completely rebuilt the front end. Here's what I used:

1. Honda Fork Seal Kit (new forks seals, dust covers and snap ring (I think kit included the snap ring)

2. Honda Inner Fork Bushings

3. Honda Outer Fork Bushings

4. Belray 10wt fork oil (it's what my local dealer carries)

5. RaceTech 1.0Kg springs

6. RaceTech Gold Rebound valves

7. RaceTech Gold Compression valves

8. AllBalls Tapered Steering head bearings.

I ordered all the RaceTech stuff through Louie (aka partsmonster, he's a member here), using a 15% off discount code. I ordered all the OEM Honda parts through University Motors in Fargo. University Motors is also a AllBalls distributor. Tomorrow I'll dig out the part numbers and prices. You'll also want to get new crush washers for the bolt on the bottom of the forks, the one that bolts into the compression valve. If you want to talk about the installation and rebuild some more, send me a PM, I'll send you my contact info.

I ordered all the RaceTech stuff through Louie (aka partsmonster, he's a member here), using a 15% off discount code. I ordered all the OEM Honda parts through University Motors in Fargo. University Motors is also a AllBalls distributor. Tomorrow I'll dig out the part numbers and prices. You'll also want to get new crush washers for the bolt on the bottom of the forks, the one that bolts into the compression valve. If you want to talk about the installation and rebuild some more, send me a PM, I'll send you my contact info.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll skip the Gold valves due to $$ and the fact that I'll never miss them, since I don't usually ride that hard.

I have all the part numbers, so you don't have to go digging - thanks though! I'll add the crush washers to my list, too.

As for the advice - you sure you want to make that offer? It's my first fork job :icon_evilgrin:

Thanks to all respondants! If you have more thoughts, keep them coming :icon_biggrin:

Tom