CBR1100XX.org Forum

97 carb adjust help

dmclain

Pulling my blackbird out of cold storage and wanted to adjust the carbs this weekend. The bike is stock and I picked up a set of mercury carb sticks to sync the carbs. I have tuned everything else but notice she is stubbling/surging around 4k. The fuel filter is clean and has new gas, also been running some BG44 through the tank. Been reading about adjusting the pilot screws, cleaning the low speed jets, and syncing the carbs. Just wondering what the sequence is when others tune their carbs getting them ready for spring? Should I clean the jets first, sync the carbs, then adjust the pilots - or another sequence? Thanks

Pulling my blackbird out of cold storage and wanted to adjust the carbs this weekend. The bike is stock and I picked up a set of mercury carb sticks to sync the carbs. I have tuned everything else but notice she is stubbling/surging around 4k. The fuel filter is clean and has new gas, also been running some BG44 through the tank. Been reading about adjusting the pilot screws, cleaning the low speed jets, and syncing the carbs. Just wondering what the sequence is when others tune their carbs getting them ready for spring? Should I clean the jets first, sync the carbs, then adjust the pilots - or another sequence? Thanks

Interesting. You shoul donly have to sync the carbs every 4-5 years. I ride all year so I have dont have to mess with cleaning them. Is the BG44 gone? How are the plugs looking? Any work done to this one. I had a helle rich spot at about 4k that was not that pronouced and other than getting a puff of dark exhaust outs da back when I taped it that was all I noticed..... I put it on the dyno (about 10 pulls with various changes) and beleive it or not I now have Hyosung Needles in my carbs. Got ride of the rich spot at 4k and bumped my HP up 4 and incredibly my tank life went from 140 miles per tank to 180 miles per tank. I figure the ffuel saving alone will pay for the dyno tuning in about 3 years.

My order:

Clean

Adjust

Sync

I ran the BG44 through already. Since I was switching out the plugs wanted to foul them out and clean the cylinders and any reminants of gas out first (higher concentration of BG, 1 quart gas/third can BG, 3 times).

With the BG gone, I pulled the fouled plugs and replaced them. Changed oil, tightened chain, etc. Ran the bike, pulled the plugs, everything clean, just stumbles a little. Now wanted to start the carb adjustments.

I put the bike in cold storage for over 6 years. Drained the gas, oil fogged the engine, and pulled the battery (similar to a boat) before I put in storage. Thus, I imagine reason carbs are out of sync.

Like I said the bike is stock, no other work on the bike than scheduled maintenance by dealer. Any specs on the needles you used? Is yours stock or have you changed exhaust, removed emissions, etc?

Storing a bike doesn't cause the carbs to go out of sync.

Vibration, mechanical wear and compression changes do.

I think after a 6 year hiatus the carbs have to come out regardless if you drained them. That last little bit left in the bowls still wreaks havoc.

Besides you can't adjust the pilot screws with them installed anyway.

I'd shim the needles for a 4k stumble.

I've covered all the particulars before just do a search and good luck.