CBR1100XX.org Forum

LED dash lights???

MileHi

I'm kinda revisiting LED replacements for the dash, front turn signals and the brake/tail lights. It seems that there has been aa lot of new designs and types of LEDs since I last looked.

Anyone using LEDs for the dash lights? I am considering these red Superstar LEDs with H/S ... For those of you that fly, isn't that what's used for aircraft instrumentation at night?

For the front turn signals these SideWinder Tower Lights in amber.

And finally, for the tail/brake lights these 24 High Powered Wide Angle SMT LEDS

I already have LEDs in the rear turn signals and a digital T/S relay...

Comments or suggestions?

I just installed the white LED bulbs in the instrument cluster a few days ago, and like the new look. They make the instruments more vivid, and its nice knowing you shouldn't ever have to replace the bulbs again. I also replaced my headlight bulbs with the Sylvania SilverStars, and like that improvement as well.

I got the LED's from http://www.superbrightleds.com/mini-wedge.html (single wedge $10 bucks shipped) , and the SilverStars off of EBAY for $20 a pair shipped. It would have been $55 for the headlight bulbs at the local O-Reilly's, so if you don't mind waiting a few days you can save some money.

When installing the LED's, they are polarity sensitive, so if they don't light, just leave them in the socket, pull out and turn the whole socket 180 degrees. You'll need 4 of them.

I just installed the white LED bulbs in the instrument cluster a few days ago, and like the new look. They make the instruments more vivid, and its nice knowing you shouldn't ever have to replace the bulbs again. I also replaced my headlight bulbs with the Sylvania SilverStars, and like that improvement as well.

I got the LED's from http://www.superbrightleds.com/mini-wedge.html (single wedge $10 bucks shipped) , and the SilverStars off of EBAY for $20 a pair shipped. It would have been $55 for the headlight bulbs at the local O-Reilly's, so if you don't mind waiting a few days you can save some money.

When installing the LED's, they are polarity sensitive, so if they don't light, just leave them in the socket, pull out and turn the whole socket 180 degrees. You'll need 4 of them.

So how bright are the LEDs at night. These old eyes need a dash bright enough to see, but not so bright as to worsen my night vision... Yeah, I do agree with you about the Silverstars, but I replaced those with HIDs over a year ago. Good to know about the polarity of the LEDs... That bit of wisdom will possible eliminate a whole lot of potential cursing, kicking and screaming... :icon_biggrin:

How much work is involved to replace the instrument lights w/leds? How do you get in there to replace them?

Thanks!

The dash lights can usually be accessed by simply removing the wind screen. I found that with a pair of needle nose pliers or a pair of hemostats makes the job easier for me...

Just a word of caution.... cheap LED replacement bulbs are not as bright as regular bulbs, you need to get the more expensive ones that either use higher wattage LEDs or more LEDs on the unit. Also, keep in mind that LEDs are directional when replacing tail lights and turn signals... make sure the unit you get has LEDs facing in all directions, otherwise they are hard to see from angles other than the direct path to the tip of the LED... so I highly recommend the tower type units like the ones on this page... http://superlumination.com/1156_1157.htm

As Milehi says, all you need is to remove your windsheild, and you will have acess to all four bulbs

These bulbs are not much brighter than the stock bulbs, just a different kind of light. They make the instruments much more vivid, with a touch of blue to the light.

A guy on the other website posted this pic of his using the same bulbs I used.

http://www2.propichosting.com/Images/450020740/1.jpg