CBR1100XX.org Forum

Another probably dumb question

gourmet

After driving in my car behind my own bike with my buddy riding it I was a little surprised/worried about the smoke coming out of the exhaust when he cracked the throttle open. I have been told it does this occasionally from riding buddies and I have seen other bikes do this, my question is what is it? and how to I get rid of it?

Thanks

Brian

Brett, I wouldn't rip a fellow board member off in that way.

The gas mileage has been the same as always, mid to high 30's per gallon.

Doesn't ever use oil.

I have noticed the oem pipes were always going black at the end cap. I assume this means running rich, with an aftermarket exhaust will that help to lean it out a bit?

Brian

Brett, I wouldn't rip a fellow board member off in that way.

The gas mileage has been the same as always, mid to high 30's per gallon.

Doesn't ever use oil.

I have noticed the oem pipes were always going black at the end cap. I assume this means running rich, with an aftermarket exhaust will that help to lean it out a bit?

Brian

You need a PCIII and a custom map. That should sort you right out :icon_smile:

on the carbed models if you rejet and pipe it you can have it running pretty rich in the lower RPM range and when you tape it, it will belch out the poorly combusted extra rich exhaust as a blakish puff of smoke. Dyno tune. If it FI......dyno tune.

First, Brett, I know you meant it to be funny, it gave me a smile! My response didn't come out right, it was supposed to be "it smokes, I couldn't sell it to you for $100 as it would be ripping you off."!!

It is a FI Bird(2000)

Does this Seafoam I keep hearing about help with carbon build up?

Brian

Does this Seafoam I keep hearing about help with carbon build up?

Hey Brian,

Seafoam seems effective at cleaning injectors and throttle bodies, where you would find varnish or other by-products of old gas.

According to the label it can can remove carbon build up, but it has to be poured directly into the intake stream, like through a vacuum port. Personally I'd guess it can remove light carbon deposits. Serious carbon deposits can only be removed by mechnical methods.

BTW, if you come back to VA or WV send me a PM.

BTW, if you come back to VA or WV send me a PM.

If?????? You mean when....I am in Love with VA, TN, NC, PA etc. It was a great trip and will definitely be back again. Don't know if it will be this year or not as I now have an itch to get out to Northern California on the bike.

And thanks, when we get back down that way I will definitely hook up with you for a drink or 9, this past trip was a fly by the seat of the pants deal.

Brian