CBR1100XX.org Forum

What is this thing in my air box for??

Jaygermeister

I was cleaning my K&N and noticed the sponge type filter in the little chamber in the air box has deteriorated. For the life of me I don’t know what the chamber is for. The chamber is open under the air box (no hose going to it just open) and it is sealed off from the rest of the air box (make any since) so I don’t know its purpose. I hadn’t ordered another sponge filter thing because I don’t think it’s necessary.

Any thoughts??

:icon_scratchhead:

98 carbed XX

1st pic, lid of the airbox (note the chamber and spong thing)

2nd pic, airbox half on the bike (note the chamber and spong thing)

post-145-1177010254.jpg

post-145-1177010278.jpg

Yes it should have a tube on it but the tube goes between #2 and #3 carb. It allows air to flow back and forth so the carb. vacuum pistons can move.

You need to get that hose on and get some piece of foam to replace it. I don't think you need the official Honda foam but cut a piece of the same thickness and consistency to fit.

Is the bike running good? If not there may be some debris up in the top of the carbs in the vacuum chamber.

looks like all it dose is catch the oil from the crank case. On my cars the the crank case breather feed back into the intake but on the bird it vents to this small chamber, the sponge catches the oil and then the vapors are expeled to the atmosphere though the holes on either side of the hose inlet (look at the pic and you can see thought the right hole) is doesn't feed back to the carbs at all.

It allows air to flow back and forth so the carb. vacuum pistons can move.

If so I need to replace that foam........ thanks.

...and get some piece of foam to replace it. I don't think you need the official Honda foam but cut a piece of the same thickness and consistency to fit.

Not just ANY foam will do! It must have a breathable, open-cell consistancy. The cheapest way out would be to stop by your local auto parts and get a mid-'80's GM breather filter. They were used in the airfilter have what will probably be enough foam to fit. The best way out is to just get the correct part from Honda. If you need to run the bike for a few days without it, you won't be hurting anything.

Just my $ .02. Good luck!

Now. Where did the pieces of it go? :icon_eek:

Beats me.

No telling how long it's been that way, must not do to much cause the bike runs great.

I'll still replace it......... one of these days.