CBR1100XX.org Forum

Pilot Power Front Cupping

Para045

Well just lately I have noticed that the handling of the BB has been a bit off, mainly it seems that she is harder to tip into corners and runs wide on sweepers and low speed corners so I thought it was because of my Pilot Road rear having worn down and starting to square off. So I went out this morning after coming home from night shift and had a good look at my tires and found what I think is the problem and that is the front Pilot Power has started to cup and is wearing quite badly but mainly on the RHS, :icon_confused: I am trying to work out why it would be worn on the right side more than the left, any ideas :icon_think: I seem to remember the previous D208 was also worn more on the RHS as well although that was noticably more worn than the PP, it is also looking a bit pointed in it's shape compared to the previous D208 :icon_think: Also any idea's on why tyres cup in general ?, I usually run ~41-42psi in front and back because I am a big guy ( ~300lbs). Most of my riding is to and from work ~65km each way but is a combination of 1/3 55-68mph sweepers ( on rough bumpy roads ), 1/3 31-43mph corners and 1/3 70mph highway on reasonable quality roads with the occaisional trip into the 125mph+ zone :icon_twisted::icon_surprised: I have had the front PP on for ~8700miles so not a bad run, although the PR rear has only gotten ~6215miles and is nearly shot too :icon_frown: Here are some pics of the PP

post-2722-1176162786.jpg

post-2722-1176162820.jpg

post-2722-1176162842.jpg

That is a wear bar in the third pic isn't it?

You got your wear out of it, time for another. :icon_thumbsup:

I wish I could find that site back but it explains all bike tire wear patterns.

Found it:

http://www.rattlebars.com/valkfaq/tirewear/

Yeah that is the wear bar on the RHS of centre, it's just strange that the left side has a little way to go to the wear bar and there are patches on the right that are below the WB and the tyre has a pointyness too it :icon_confused: It is very hard to see in the pics but if you run your hand over the tyre there is quite a pronounced hollow centre of the RHS tread :icon_surprised:

EDIT: Just read the article on the link :icon_doh: , some very interesting info, thanks for that Pete :icon_cool:

Any of you guys ever tried Shinko's on the XX :icon_think:

I put a rear Shinko 009 Raven on last fall and it was OK, cornered and stuck fine. I have a Pirelli Strada on the front.

Now at 2200 miles it's down to 3/32 in. in the middle and handles terrible. It's starting to slide in moderate corners and it's hard to lean the bike over.

I've got a set of Powers to go on next. I won't be buying a Shinko again.

Very happy with my Shinko's. I prefer the Pilot Powers but for the price difference? :icon_confused: The Shinko's I have are the 003 front anf the 009 rear. I'd have them again.

Very interested in the Pilot Road 2 or the Avon Storms.