CBR1100XX.org Forum

New HID configuration

OrganDonor

Again...where can you buy the euro switches?????????????????????????????????????

Yes yes. Me too ?

I have 1 short one available for Sale at $60.00 delivered.

Came off a crashed Bird in England and need alittle cleaning but perfectly usable.

Can be used on the FI Bird but the shorter Pigtail has to be routed around one of the stock clip holders to reach.

First come first serve !!

John

PM sent for the long one.

Got your PM FiXXation and put your name on the long one. Edited the above post also.

I am leaving for FUXXT in about an hour so won't have time to deal with it this weekend but

will get it out to you by Tuesday at the latest, Priority Mail.

Paypal to John@BikeBits.us

You were quick on the draw FiXX !! I was trying to be a bit sneaky as I know these are in big

demand and have gotten almost impossible for me to find anymore.

Th only one I have left now is the short one designed for 97-98 Birds.

PayPal sent, John, and THANK YOU!

The finger on the start button start procdure has been driving me crazy.

I also found out how many times I go out and turn the key on to check the mileage on the "B" trip meter, which I use for chain lube timing.

Wow! Got it today, John! You must have a time machine for a post office there!

Mucho thanks, again! :icon_clap:

Also, a moment of silence for the Euro Bird that sacrificed itself to make this possible. :icon_pray:

hehehe!! You sent the Paypal so fast that I felt guilty about leaving for FUXXT without getting it mailed out. It was already packaged for shipment so I just dropped it in a drop box on Friday on my way out of town.

You will like having it on the Bird. I sure like mine but just don't forget to turn the light On now !!

John, the switch is installed and working just fine. :icon_dance:

post-1023-1181603660.jpg

just don't forget to turn the light On now !!

I guess it would not be the best thing to have a LEO stop you for no headlight, then dazzle him with the HIDs firing off. :icon_redface:

Nice Job and Fast on the install I see. :-)

Got your PM FiXXation and put your name on the long one. Edited the above post also.

I am leaving for FUXXT in about an hour so won't have time to deal with it this weekend but

You were quick on the draw FiXX !! I was trying to be a bit sneaky as I know these are in big

PM sent re. the 97-98 switch

PM sent re. the 97-98 switch

Replied to your PM

Going to bed now but will get it out tomorrow if paypal sent.

• 4 weeks later...

First let me start by giving a nice hand of applauds to the folks that posted all the info in this thread!!!!!!!!

I was at bike night yesterday and we were talking about HID and this guys was talking about putting it on his bike. He said he would have to dissasemble the lights and paint & bake the reflective material in the headlight....

Was he full of shit?? Is he talking about the same thing here?? For what I got from the thread here you just replace the bulb and add the ballast.. Right??

Cheers to all,

Was he full of shit?? Is he talking about the same thing here?? For what I got from the thread here you just replace the bulb and add the ballast.. Right??

Yes he is Full of Shit , at least in relation to the Blackbird application.

Right / Correct !! R&R the Bulbs and mount the ballast and starters and go out and blind other folks !!

Right / Correct !! R&R the Bulbs and mount the ballast and starters and go out and blind other folks !!

Yes, they will blind other's it is like having a 2 million candle watt power headlight in my opinion, Oh & dont forget about the little rubber washer's trick placed against the new H7 HID(s)

Yes, they will blind other's it is like having a 2 million candle watt power headlight in my opinion, Oh & dont forget about the little rubber washer's trick placed against the new H7 HID(s)

Good catch, I did forget about that !!

Hey folks, I have made the decision that i am going for a HID kit. I have been looking on ebay for prices but there are like 2000 different conversion kits. Since some of you have gone trough the process of buying i thought I would ask for advise.

There is a huge price difference..... 50$ to about 400$. Now I know you get what you paid for but there is the fact that you do pay for the name brand. I hear McCollough was a good one from another forum. Now i have seen some made by Maybach (Mercedes division) so i know that is top quality. Also there are quite a bit from a company named Xentec.

Would you folks be kind enough to tell me what brand you have and if you recommend it. Also if you have heard anything about the three that I mentioned that would be great.

Thanks,

Hey folks, I have made the decision that i am going for a HID kit. I have been looking on ebay for prices but there are like 2000 different conversion kits. Since some of you have gone trough the process of buying i thought I would ask for advise.

There is a huge price difference..... 50$ to about 400$. Now I know you get what you paid for but there is the fact that you do pay for the name brand. I hear McCollough was a good one from another forum. Now i have seen some made by Maybach (Mercedes division) so i know that is top quality. Also there are quite a bit from a company named Xentec.

Would you folks be kind enough to tell me what brand you have and if you recommend it. Also if you have heard anything about the three that I mentioned that would be great.

Thanks,

Most of the guys on here went for the McCullochs from Andy Hidseller, in fact a few of the guys on the OzBB site here in Aus just did a small "group buy" through Andy and got the same price as the guys on here did and we all love our HID's :icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin:

• 2 months later...
I placed a $185.00 PayPal request to Andy on 4/23/07 at 17:37 PDT for one of his 4300K H7 HID Conversion Kits and these components arrived at my door this afternoon, 4/27/07 via Air Mail. Two ballasts with separate ignitors, two connectors to mate to the original headlight connectors, two H7 bulbs, two pads of double-sided sticky, wire ties, and a manual.

Excellent service!

As has been mentioned before, there are no markings on the bulbs to indicate their temperature ratings unless it is the brownish insulator on the external conductor running up beside the bulb (not seen in the picture). The makeup of the kit looks the same as I recall in the original group buy.

post-1023-1177790554.jpg

Mine never had the user's manual. Anybody have the chance to scan and post?

Also, anybody ever have heat-related problems with the ballasts? They read that they can reach 105 degrees C (221 F).

Thanks,

This is what the manual looked like that came with my McCulloch kit from Andy:

Front & back:

post-1023-1190693662.jpg

Pages 1 & 2:

post-1023-1190693679.jpg

Pages 3 & 4:

post-1023-1190693696.jpg

Pages 5 & 6:

post-1023-1190693714.jpg

I attached the ballasts to the frame just behind the oil cooler mounts on my '03, and have run them at 108*F this summer across the NM desert with no ill effects, so far. Since they get air from the front and have vents just below the mounting areas, I assume they get enough flow to cool them. I've also had no ignition problems (aside from sometimes forgetting to turn them on with the Euro light switch).

I installed mine a long time ago (at least 1.5 years), but haven't ridden almost at all since then (life happens...). It's both lights - high and low beams.

I mounted the ballast resistors (the metal boxes) to the back of the instrument panel using the double-sided tape. Will this melt the I.P.?

I did that because it seemed that located anywhere else in that area, they'd have been in contact with some sort of wiring. I reasoned that if I were hundreds of miles from home, I'd rather have a melting dash than wires on fire; you can still ride with one, but not the other.

Will I have to relocate them? Where to on an F.I. bike (2002).

I searched, but it seemed all the install descriptions were on carb'ed bikes with more room and less wiring behind the I.P and headlights.

TIA,

I searched, but it seemed all the install descriptions were on carb'ed bikes with more room and less wiring behind the I.P and headlights.

Post #32 on page 2 of this thread shows where I mounted the ballasts on my '03.

I've not felt them after operating for a while, but if they don't melt the double-sticky tape, I can't imagine they would melt plastic, either. Adding enough heat to shorten the life of the dash components might be another story.

I installed mine a long time ago (at least 1.5 years), but haven't ridden almost at all since then (life happens...). It's both lights - high and low beams.

I mounted the ballast resistors (the metal boxes) to the back of the instrument panel using the double-sided tape. Will this melt the I.P.?

I did that because it seemed that located anywhere else in that area, they'd have been in contact with some sort of wiring. I reasoned that if I were hundreds of miles from home, I'd rather have a melting dash than wires on fire; you can still ride with one, but not the other.

Will I have to relocate them? Where to on an F.I. bike (2002).

I searched, but it seemed all the install descriptions were on carbed bikes with more room and less wiring behind the I.P and headlights.

TIA,

Most of the guys on OzBB did the same and stuck them to the back of the dash, I found that on my carbed XX that I could not do that as there are cables and wires coming out that are not on the FI dashes :icon_confused: So I made up some brackets and mounted them either side of the intake ducts in the nose :icon_surprised: