CBR1100XX.org Forum

Repainted my wheels...

MileHi

Christ, work has had me so busy for the last three months that the poor 'Bird has been sitting in the garage waiting to be put back together. I got ready to replace the wheel bearing when I discovered a few things... One of my front wheel bearings was really getting bad (terrible grinding noises), I didn't order replacement seals and the bearing kit I ordered (last year) has bearings for the 97-98 front wheel not for the 99+... So, here I sit waiting for the new bearings and seals... Since I had stripped the apint off the wheels last year, I decided that I'd try and paint 'em. I picked up some medium gray Dupli-Color wheel paint and rattle canned them... I think that they turned out OK. And if I decide that I don't like 'em , I can re-strip them and try something else...

post-1161-1173656843.jpg post-1161-1173656864.jpg

make it easy to inflate put a set of these on

http://www.sportbikeeffects.com/products.a...t=8462&pg=4

LOL... I have a pair on the way...

Looks good, I did the same thing to my Super Hawk a few years back. The wheel paint work well and stays on, plus it is cheap.

Cheap is nice and they look pretty good too. I think I'll polish the bare metal and spray the whole wheels with the clearcoat.

I got ready to replace the wheel bearing when I discovered a few things... One of my front wheel bearings was really getting bad (terrible grinding noises), I didn't order replacement seals and the bearing kit I ordered (last year) has bearings for the 97-98 front wheel not for the 99+... So, here I sit waiting for the new bearings and seals

Not trying to hijack your thread but as you are saying the bearings are different then I guess these eBay ones bearings could not possibly fit all years as stated is that correct :icon_think:

what is this wheel paint? where'd ya get it?

It's Dupli-Color High Performance Wheel Coating... I got it at Schucks/Checker.

I got ready to replace the wheel bearing when I discovered a few things... One of my front wheel bearings was really getting bad (terrible grinding noises), I didn't order replacement seals and the bearing kit I ordered (last year) has bearings for the 97-98 front wheel not for the 99+... So, here I sit waiting for the new bearings and seals

Not trying to hijack your thread but as you are saying the bearings are different then I guess these eBay ones bearings could not possibly fit all years as stated is that correct :icon_think:

That looks like the kit I got. If it comes with 6004 bearings for the front then it's for the 97-98. The 99+ use a 6204 bearing...

I'd be careful with the clear coat over the polished aluminum. I've seen some of it yellow pretty badly. I left mine uncoated, and polished them once a month with Never Dull or Mother's. I then put a light coat of wax over the polished surface to slow the oxidation process. Never pitted and worked for me.

I'd be careful with the clear coat over the polished aluminum. I've seen some of it yellow pretty badly. I left mine uncoated, and polished them once a month with Never Dull or Mother's. I then put a light coat of wax over the polished surface to slow the oxidation process. Never pitted and worked for me.

Excellent point... Did you clearcoat the painted parts, or did you leave them as is?