CBR1100XX.org Forum

riding pants recommendations please

BarryG

Few weeks back I posted in the Garage for some boot recommendations and the Oxtar Matrix's came up and I got them and they're great.

Now need some suggestions about riding pants. I had some Joe Rocket Ballistic textile ones but they are a furnace unless temps are under 60.

Looking for something breathable, preferably waterproof, that I can wear in cold OR warm temps that are made to go over street pants that aren't insanely expensive either....maybe $200 or less.

Thanks for any/all suggestions.

I have the Air version of the Hein Gericke pants, which are made by the same folks who make the FirstGear stuff. FirstGear also has an Air version. The lining zips out so you have hot weather pants. Liner in for rain or colder temps.

First Gear HT 2 Overpant with waterproof liner. At new enough for $179.99

A number of the guys have these and really like them. They also come in tall sizes.

Read Pauls's comments at the bottom of the page.

http://www.newenough.com/firstgear_ht_air_...rpants_page.htm

front.jpg

I get a pair of the "Air" version of these from NewEnough. I have ridden with them up to 100 degrees and while I was warm, it was OK. when it gets hot, I remove the liner, when it gets real hot, I wear shorts under them. With the full zipper, they are easy to get on and off. :icon_thumbsup:

In cold weather I always tuck my pants into my Oxtar boots before I zip them up...

Temps below 30 degrees: Fieldsheer Highland Suit does the trick

Temps between 30 and 50: Fieldsheer Highland Pants & XP Tech Jacket; Not too hot even up to mid 60's.

Temps between 45 and 80: First Gear S.T.O.P. leather overpants & TKO Jacket with removable liner & full torso vents

Temps above 80: Fieldsheer Sonic Air pants & Titanium Jacket... however, I have to tuck my pants into my socks to get my legs through the Sonic Air pants leg, putting my boots on last. Ok into the 90's so long as you don't end up stuck in traffic at noon, otherwise it starts to get warm (doesn't help that everything is black).

For rain, the Highland gear holds it own for about 45 minutes. However, above 45 degrees I have a pair of Fieldsheer rain pants that I wear over the leather STOP and Sonic Air pants w/a Honda rain jacket over the leather TKO or Titanium jacket. The rain gear stays rolled up in my Jansen backpack and all my other stuff.

This is what I wear over my business casual work clothes every day. It takes a few minutes to get in and out of it, but it's already saved my skin so I still subscribe to the "I'd rather sweat than bleed" camp.

I get a pair of the "Air" version of these from NewEnough. I have ridden with them up to 100 degrees and while I was warm, it was OK. when it gets hot, I remove the liner, when it gets real hot, I wear shorts under them. With the full zipper, they are easy to get on and off. :icon_thumbsup:

Ooooh.....didn't know there was an "Air" version. Just checked them out. That's what I want. The coldest I really ride out here is upper 40s/low 50s and that would be at night. Daytime maybe upper 50s is the coldest so the Air version would be perfect.

I have the Joe Rocket Phoenix pants but those are all mesh and really only for very warm weather and offer what appears to be little protection.

I just came to work in 40C+ temps with my dress shorts and my Draggin Jeans over the top, ~65km/45min ride and it wasn't too bad. I actually felt warmer on my top half even with my Joe Rocket Alter Ego with just the mesh :icon_think: I have worn the DJ's over dress trousers up to high 30's with no problems :icon_think: I made sure that I got them off ASAP though as once you stop moving they get hot :icon_eek:

First Gear HT 2 Overpant with waterproof liner. At new enough for $179.99

A number of the guys have these and really like them. They also come in tall sizes.

Read Pauls's comments at the bottom of the page.

http://www.newenough.com/firstgear_ht_air_...rpants_page.htm

front.jpg

+1

Mine are still waterproof after 3 seasons and they breath extremely well without the liner in.

The link I provided was for the HT Air 2.0 overpant. I forgot to type in "Air".

Thta is what I have and I have worn them in 50 to 80+ degree weather as well as rain and like I said, they work great!

I am in the market for riding pants currently, been shopping them. Glad to see this link for newenough. I need a pant for 50 degrees and above, and want waterproof, but all the good pants look like snow gear to me. I spend enough time in snow gear to not want to wear them all summer too :icon_snooty:

The link I provided was for the HT Air 2.0 overpant. I forgot to type in "Air".

Thta is what I have and I have worn them in 50 to 80+ degree weather as well as rain and like I said, they work great!

Gotcha.....I noticed you just didn't mention the "air" part.

I recommend you go to the Held USA website and check out their offerings. I got a pair of the Held "Steve" gloves a few years back, and still haven't worn them out. I was at the Daytona BMW shop a week or so ago, and found that Held was offering textile jackets and pants for prices that I actually considered reasonable. I bought the Touring Star jacket (waterproof with removable insulating liner) and Gavia pants, and have been quite satisfied so far.