CBR1100XX.org Forum

Technical answer (front fork)

Dr. Ergal

Well... as the same as (I suppose) a big part of you, I don't like Dual Cbs...

If we add tha fact that I would like to install a different cartridge (with regulation system) at the fork, I thoght that it could be a nice idea replacing original forks with the CBR600F unit: same diameter (43mm) and regulation system.

Fantastic !!!

The problem is the brake disks diameter: 310mm for Bird and 296mm for CBR600. :icon_neutral:

Has anyone of you tried to work on this problem? :icon_rolleyes:

Is some aftermarket kit available?

I've also found on ebay a complete kit (forks, handlebars, brake calipers, ecc...) of a 98 Fireblade, wich has 310mm disk, but I dont' how much I have to get crazy to adapt Blade steering axis in Bird chassis... :icon_confused:

Couldn't you just de-link the brakes and install a cartridge emulator?

Yes, of course I could.

But it's not sufficient for the modification that I want to do... :icon_whistle:

:icon_twisted:

My idea is to install CBR 600 front fork, complete of brake caliper.

The 600's forks are perfectly adaptable on Bird steering plates: fork diameter is the same (43mm) and also the total lengthen is comparable (in order to be alble to install original handelbars). A bolt-on modification... :icon_evilgrin:

I'm still not sure about the diameter of wheel pivot, but I'm QUITE sure that they are identical for diameter feature

Of course I will replace original oil (and spring) with new units more suitable for Bird weight.

It remains only to build suitable wheel shims and an adaptator to reposition calipers (600 has 296mm disks, Bird 310mm), but it's the smaller problem; I can realize them easily, either in Ergal and steel.

I'm just studying the solution right now using Autocad, in order to create an exact 3D model for plates and shims

post-5404-1172777347.jpg

In this way I will...

1) Replace the front fork with a new more performant (completely adjustable) unit

2) Replace original caliper (floating, 3 pots) with the more powerful unit of 600 (fixed, 4 pots)

3) Eliminate Dual-CBS, saving weight and earning a more familiar (for me) behaviour in braking

What do you thing about my idea? :icon_rolleyes:

Your idea is fine, but I think I would go with a RC51 or Hayabusa front end as opposed to a 600 front end. More apples to apples , instead of apples to oranges, plus folks have done the RC51 and Hayabusa conversions already, you wouldn't have to start from scratch

Your idea is fine, but I think I would go with a RC51 or Hayabusa front end as opposed to a 600 front end. More apples to apples , instead of apples to oranges, plus folks have done the RC51 and Hayabusa conversions already, you wouldn't have to start from scratch

+1

Why not just go all the way use the 600 front wheel?

For an aesthetic reason, first of all: I want maintain as more as possible the original layout.

This is the reason why I could prefer use a CBR600 fork instead of RC51 (or CBR929...): I will maintain original steering plates, handlebars, and general "look".

The second reason: money.

With at maximum of 500 euros (about 450 USD) I could have forks and calipers.

Choosing a different configuration I could be obliged to "twist" (I don't know if the term is right... sorry...) all the steering system: steering pivot, plates, handelbars... and also the total look could be noticeably changed. Too much for the "discreet look" I want for my Bird...

I don't think that CBR600 fork are undersized for this service: the diameter is the same and also pivot and fittings have the same size.

Fortunately in Italy (Modena, the city of Ferrari, and close to my place :icon_evilgrin: ) we have the winner of Honda Technician Contest, Claudio Franchini.

Pr429a.jpg

I know him, unfortunately for him :icon_biggrin: , and he knows my "maniacal attitudes" in this kind of transformations. I will ask him... :icon_whistle:

Doc,

I think you are going to do a bunch of work for only marginal results.

While the 600F fork is adjustable, it really isn't all that much better than the stock XX fork.

I would go in one of two directions, new internals for the XX fork or a full front end swap.

The forks from the RC-51, the Busa, and the ZX-12R, are all much better. They're USD, they're valved better as well as being much stiffer. The brakes are better too. The only issue is rim styles and a good set of aftermarket rims will cure that and save a bunch of weight.

DSC03791.JPG

DSC03942.JPG

I think BadazzXX still has his complete swap kit for the bird using RC51 parts forks rims calipers the whole package you might want to talk with him.