CBR1100XX.org Forum

Elbow Tire Stems

Venus97

Hey Guys,

I plan to have my service done next month (as soon as I get my tax refund money) and was wondering if installing some short 90 degree short tire stems would make it easier to check tire pressure. My questions are:

1. Would they look gay on the Blackbird?

2. Would they throw off the balancing of the wheels at all?

What do you think?

-Yes, they make checking the tire pressure easier.

-Yes, they make the tire a bit heavier when balancing in the location of the stem.

-You can get some on eBay, or get the Goldwing ones at the dealer.

-Goldwing owners promote changing them every couple of sets of tires, as they can break at the point they come through the wheel, due to the centrifugal force causing the end stem to bend in towards the rim causing stress on the rubber.

large.jpg

The Goldwings come with a little attachment that acts like cribbing to keep the stem from bending in.

large.jpg

I got some of these for my nexxt tire change on the Bird... all metal, bolt on, and they're only

a $1.50 each.

I wouldn't go with the Goldwing ones... they run over $10 each. You're better off following the link I posted at the end of the post, and get the $1.50 ones. Grab a few of them, and impress your bike friends with them as stocking stuffers.

The Goldwingers either go with the $1.50 ones, short stubby straight ones, or replace their expensive Honda ones at least every other tire change.

Link to current Goldwing debate.

When I put the new PR rear on my BB just before Xmas I went for an angled valve stem and it is great, no problems getting the air hose onto it now, it was always a bitch to get air in, the normal air gauges that fit on the end of the hose usually have an angled steel fitting which is impossible to get onto the valves :icon_naughty: . I used to try and only use the Shell servo's that had the gauge etc built into the main housing with a long hose with just a little clip on the end but even on the back wheel it was hard to get them in :icon_confused: The front still has a conventional valve but next tyre change I will change that too. :icon_biggrin: This is the valve that I got from the tyre place, ~$20AUD but well worth it IMHO

post-2722-1172041285.jpg

post-2722-1172041305.jpg

post-2722-1172041324.jpg

post-2722-1172041341.jpg

1. Would they look gay on the Blackbird?

2. Would they throw off the balancing of the wheels at all?

1. Who gives a fuck if they look gay. If they utilitarian value, do it.

2. Be sure balance your tire with the stems installed. Duh, unless for some reason you balance your tires uninflated. If you balance your own tires do the rim-only-prebalance with them installed.

Regardless of straight or angled, I think the best are the ones that are held in place with lock nuts and O-rings. I don't like any all rubbet stems as they all eventually crack right where they come through the rim.

Kawasaki sells a stock 45 degree stem made in solid brass the is bolted in place. It was stock on the Red ZX12.

Those are the ones I am getting.

Contact TAW Vehicle Concepts in Colorado and get some one-piece bolt on 90 degree stems made in Italy for Marchesini wheels. Don't mess around with a multi part unit. The more mating surfaces you have, the greater the chance for a leak.

Regardless of straight or angled, I think the best are the ones that are held in place with lock nuts and O-rings. I don't like any all rubbet stems as they all eventually crack right where they come through the rim.

Kawasaki sells a stock 45 degree stem made in solid brass the is bolted in place. It was stock on the Red ZX12.

Those are the ones I am getting.

My 97 Vmax came from the factory with this type. Haven't touched them in 10 years and see no reason to. Makes checking TP a breeze.