CBR1100XX.org Forum

suspension and brakes

Canadian Bird

For the techs. I'm looking for a time frame for installing the following items, not how to.

1) front springs and spacers(Jaws)

2) remote pre-load adjusters(Jaws)

3) new fork oil and head bearings

4) braided brake & clutch lines(Jaws)

5) bleed brakes/new hydrolic fluid

6) front & rear pads

7) install Penske rear shock(TripleDigets)

8) oil/filter

An experienced tech will do the work. Please save any "smart ass" responses they aren't necessary. For those who reply, thanks

For the techs. I'm looking for a time frame for installing the following items, not how to.

1) front springs and spacers(Jaws)

2) remote pre-load adjusters(Jaws)

3) new fork oil and head bearings

4) braided brake & clutch lines(Jaws)

5) bleed brakes/new hydrolic fluid

6) front & rear pads

7) install Penske rear shock(TripleDigets)

8) oil/filter

An experienced tech will do the work. Please save any "smart ass" responses they aren't necessary. For those who reply, thanks

8-10 hours for myself working at an extreme snails pace. I could proably knock it out faster now that I've done most of that a couple of times now.

Are you just doing the front brake lines? If you're doing all add a little more time as the rear is quite time consuming

Agree with Brett. Done all of the above and the most time will be spent on r/r the forks which you need to do to get the head bearings done and to change fork oil properly (getting the torque settings on the lower triple can be a PITA because of clearance). Using a vacuum bleeder for the brakes will speed things up a bit. You can do 1,2,6,7,8 in 1-2 hours. 3,4,5 are the time consumers.

Thanks for the response. Yes, all brake lines will be replaced. The kit has 10 lines. 9 lines for the brake, 1 for the clutch. (?) yes? I am not doing the work. It will be done by the tech who has done all the work on my bike. Yes, it's costly but that's the price I pay. I have no expertise, or desire to do the work. I suppose I will have to pay $1,000 or so but I know it will be done correctly, no, it's not a Harley dealer. I'm well aware of what many on this board think of Honda dealers but I've had no issues and I know this tech is very experienced and competent. In the winter he rebuilds race bikes. I feel the Bird will ride better than new once these mods have been done. Although I may get a second bike I won't sell the Bird as long as I can ride and when I can't ride I will give it to my daughter and son-in-law. Thanks again for the approx time. Cheers

Thanks for the response. Yes, all brake lines will be replaced. The kit has 10 lines. 9 lines for the brake, 1 for the clutch. (?) yes? I am not doing the work. It will be done by the tech who has done all the work on my bike. Yes, it's costly but that's the price I pay. I have no expertise, or desire to do the work. I suppose I will have to pay $1,000 or so but I know it will be done correctly, no, it's not a Harley dealer. I'm well aware of what many on this board think of Honda dealers but I've had no issues and I know this tech is very experienced and competent. In the winter he rebuilds race bikes. I feel the Bird will ride better than new once these mods have been done. Although I may get a second bike I won't sell the Bird as long as I can ride and when I can't ride I will give it to my daughter and son-in-law. Thanks again for the approx time. Cheers

I spent about 6 hours installing the full line kit, then about another 2 hours bleeding and rebleeding. As I said before now that I've done it once I could cut that time way down. Working on your own bike is not for everybody. It's great that you found a good mechanic to work on it for you. Good luck, you're going to love the new mods!

Thanks for the response. I'm looking forward to all the mods. I won't get it done till March cause I'm just too busy to take my bike in and the weather sucks at the moment. I've waited this long I can wait a little longer. Are the braided line just "bling" or are they an effective performance mod. I suppose this thread will be useless without pics. When it's done I'll attempt to post some pics. Cheers

Thanks for the response. I'm looking forward to all the mods. I won't get it done till March cause I'm just too busy to take my bike in and the weather sucks at the moment. I've waited this long I can wait a little longer. Are the braided line just "bling" or are they an effective performance mod. I suppose this thread will be useless without pics. When it's done I'll attempt to post some pics. Cheers

I noticed a huge difference with the front brakes, the rear not so much. If I were to get another 'bird I would just do the front lines and the clutch. There's virtually no change in the clutch action, I would just do it cause it's easy and looks better with both done.