CBR1100XX.org Forum

Paintjob Fork

YO

I painted mine around March and by September they were chipped up pretty bad, about 7,000 miles. I figure like this though, everytime I change the front tire I'll hit 'em again with a $3 spraybomb.

I'd like to know how well powdercoating holds up in this situation.

Looks great :icon_thumbsup:

Easy mod that looks great. I may have to do the same.

You forgot the CHEAP part :icon_evilgrin:

So true. I already own the forks, the black paint, and the masking tape. Plus I have some old lumber tarps I can use to block the living room wall from overspray. I'll just have to move the Christmas tree.

So true. I already own the forks, the black paint, and the masking tape. Plus I have some old lumber tarps I can use to block the living room wall from overspray. I'll just have to move the Christmas tree.

Hi Montana, beware of the mountingholes of the front fender and the holes underneath the fork. (screwthreads) Underneath I rolled little pieces of paper and stuck them in the holes..

Also cover up your inner tubes cause the spraypaint gets really everywhere....

Sandpaper 400, scour lightly, degrease with petrol(the kind you use in the household)...I did 4 layers in 2 hours, 24 hrs drying, then 5 layers within 2 hours and 24 hrs drying. Especially the drying is essential! I used a hot air heater and placed it in front of the paintjob.

Hi Montana, beware of the mountingholes of the front fender and the holes underneath the fork. (screwthreads) Underneath I rolled little pieces of paper and stuck them in the holes..

Also cover up your inner tubes cause the spraypaint gets really everywhere....

Sandpaper 400, scour lightly, degrease with petrol(the kind you use in the household)...I did 4 layers in 2 hours, 24 hrs drying, then 5 layers within 2 hours and 24 hrs drying. Especially the drying is essential! I used a hot air heater and placed it in front of the paintjob.

Right on, it is a great winter bike project :icon_biggrin:

The job looks great Yo - Just one thing though I think you would be better using thinners or similar to degrease as petrol has oil in it and can affect paint and stop it sticking IMHO :icon_think:

The job looks great Yo - Just one thing though I think you would be better using thinners or simolar to degrease as petrol has oil in it and can affect paint and stop it sticking IMHO :icon_think:

I don't know the exact word but it is a degreaser that you use in the household. Freely translated from Dutch to English it is called "washing petrol" . Works like a charm :icon_razz:

I got an idea for ya..... 3m clear vinyl.

Not just the 3M clear vinyl, but their paint protection film. There is a difference and a big one at that.

There are other products that work just as well such as Avery "Stonegaurd" if you can't find the 3M stuff.

Would spraying clearcoat on them help the finishes longevity?

Well, it may help the finishes longevity but when damage occurs it is much harder to correct cause you have to correct the clearcoat as well...

With only colorpaint it is much easier to cover up spots cause you've only have to put on new color..