CBR1100XX.org Forum

Incredible long fork spring

R1000

I've changed the rear shock to a Hyperpro type 041. It feels great to have a new shock, which also is fully adjustable.

When I opened the fork to put in Hyperpro progressive springs, I was surprised to find springs that are 200 mm longer than stock springs :icon_eh: There was no spacer of course. The springs are marked WP30 (or 36 or 38), so I guess they are Wilbers springs. Any one having expedience in this type of mod and can say if it’s good or bad?. The springs are either progressive or 2-step. One third of the springs have much tighter wounds.

I have not encountered any problems with the front and am not sure if I should put in the shorter Hyperpro springs at all since the fork has already been modified. Any comments are appreciated, especially from you who have knowledge in 200 mm's longer fork springs.

I've changed the rear shock to a Hyperpro type 041. It feels great to have a new shock, which also is fully adjustable.

When I opened the fork to put in Hyperpro progressive springs, I was surprised to find springs that are 200 mm longer than stock springs :icon_eh: There was no spacer of course. The springs are marked WP30 (or 36 or 38), so I guess they are Wilbers springs. Any one having expedience in this type of mod and can say if it’s good or bad?. The springs are either progressive or 2-step. One third of the springs have much tighter wounds.

I have not encountered any problems with the front and am not sure if I should put in the shorter Hyperpro springs at all since the fork has already been modified. Any comments are appreciated, especially from you who have knowledge in 200 mm's longer fork springs.

How do you like the 41? I'm going to be getting one after Christmas... Also, did you get the progressive, or straight weight spring on it?

Mike

How do you like the 41? I'm going to be getting one after Christmas... Also, did you get the progressive, or straight weight spring on it?

Mike

I haven’t got the possibility to test ride the bike yet since the fork is still open due to the front spring confusion. I'll probably test ride on Sunday, then I'll report back. I got a progressive rear spring. The adjustability is great, good range on all adjustments and good access to preload, comp and rebound adjustments on the bike. I’ve put a 6 mm shim on top of the shock clamp to.

The springs are marked WP30 (or 36 or 38), so I guess they are Wilbers springs.

Could be White Power springs :icon_think:

I think you are right, found this article which shows WP provides long springs that eliminates the spacer. http://www.wpsuspension.biz/index.php

http://www.k11og.org/tech/k11tech_springs_install.shtml

I have been surpriced that the front is never harsh as reported to be on many Blackbirds, still it dont dive much or feels unstable.

I have been surpriced that the front is never harsh as reported to be on many Blackbirds, still it dont dive much or feels unstable.

Is that with the WP springs or the stockers - my stockers are I think well due for replacement although it took putting a CBR900RR shock and 6mm shim to confirm it, she certainly seems to be harsher and dive more now that I have done the rear, I can go quicker in the sweepers but seem to be slower through low speed corners :icon_think:

I may be wrong but here goes...........

In effect, the area taken up by the typical 200mm spacer is uncompressible. Now with these new, full-length fork springs installed, with enough force, can the fork actually compress more than it could with stock spring/spacers?

If so, you will want to keep a close eye on fork oil. As we know, fork oil is also uncompressible and if in fact the fork can now compress more, the old fork oil level may be way too high. I would hate to see you jam on the brakes and force uncompressable fork oil past your new fork seals.

Just a thought.

Is that with the WP springs or the stockers - my stockers are I think well due for replacement although it took putting a CBR900RR shock and 6mm shim to confirm it, she certainly seems to be harsher and dive more now that I have done the rear, I can go quicker in the sweepers but seem to be slower through low speed corners :icon_think:

That is with the WP springs and the stock rear shock. I've not tested them with the new rear shock and 6 mm shim rear. Will do that tomorrow if weather allows, we have winter here but forcast is dry and plus degrees tomorrow.

I may be wrong but here goes...........

In effect, the area taken up by the typical 200mm spacer is uncompressible. Now with these new, full-length fork springs installed, with enough force, can the fork actually compress more than it could with stock spring/spacers?

If so, you will want to keep a close eye on fork oil. As we know, fork oil is also uncompressible and if in fact the fork can now compress more, the old fork oil level may be way too high. I would hate to see you jam on the brakes and force uncompressable fork oil past your new fork seals.

Just a thought.

Good point, I'll keep an eye on this. I have never seen a stock Bird spacer, but guess it is thin walled and takes less volume than the close spring wounds at end, so that will reduce the air volume even more.

Do you mean it is the increased dive at hard braking into slow corners that now upsets the chassie and limits the corner speed? In that case you have to soft springs.

• 2 weeks later...

Mike

I am sure you'll like it. Go for the progressive spring . Also instead of using shims you can have it whith the adjustable ride-height (of course it costs more). Only drawback is that if you want to adjust it, you have to remove the rhs silencer.

Do you mean it is the increased dive at hard braking into slow corners that now upsets the chassie and limits the corner speed? In that case you have to soft springs.

Yes exactly as these are the stock springs I believe and have had 8 years and 42000km on them as well as being rated for someone at ~ 75-80kg and I am ~130kg + the extra load from the shim the extra dive on the front is making low speed corners harder to get through :icon_think: