CBR1100XX.org Forum

Chain noise FIXED.

feelergaugephil

I just had my wheels and swing arm powder coated and the chain and sprockets that were on it (28k) were ok but I had a 1999 set with 3k on them from my last XX.

Mine is 02 XX.

So! I soak the chain from the 99 in oil for 3 weeks and claen all the crap up from the sprockets.

I cleaned the chain up and check for wear, not really banana shaped (hold chain outward)

I had the hub powdercoated, the rear sprocket would not go down on the studs due to the thickness of the coating, So I carefully filed out the inside of the sprocket to eventually slide down the studs and tighten it up!

I adjusted it properly and it makes a bloody awful wurring sound as I go over 35mph.

I re adjusted it, sprayed chain lube on (even though my scottoiler is working properly) that made no difference!

Could I have the chain on back to front! ie, going backwards?????

The sprockets are in really great shape, I have no idea! help!

The noise is driving me crazy! I rode 200 miles today and the noise is still there, and NO! I haven't over tightend the chain!

I just had my wheels and swing arm powder coated and the chain and sprockets that were on it (28k) were ok but I had a 1999 set with 3k on them from my last XX.

Mine is 02 XX.

So! I soak the chain from the 99 in oil for 3 weeks and claen all the crap up from the sprockets.

I cleaned the chain up and check for wear, not really banana shaped (hold chain outward)

I had the hub powdercoated, the rear sprocket would not go down on the studs due to the thickness of the coating, So I carefully filed out the inside of the sprocket to eventually slide down the studs and tighten it up!

I adjusted it properly and it makes a bloody awful wurring sound as I go over 35mph.

I re adjusted it, sprayed chain lube on (even though my scottoiler is working properly) that made no difference!

Could I have the chain on back to front! ie, going backwards?????

The sprockets are in really great shape, I have no idea! help!

The noise is driving me crazy! I rode 200 miles today and the noise is still there, and NO! I haven't over tightend the chain!

I know these are dumb points, but...

You did put the cush drive rubber pieces in the cush drive when you put it and the sprocket back on the wheel, right? I know it's something you'd think to do, but in the excitement of it being "almost back together," did you forget?

Chains make a lot of noise... they just do. When someone is riding my bike down the road, and they're going by me right to left, anything above about 40mph, I can hear the chain over the Yosh exhaust... The chain noise really did bother me for awhile when I came from a shaft drive bike, and I can still hear it when I turn my head to the side...

Mike

So! I soak the chain from the 99 in oil for 3 weeks

My guess would be these 2 go together....

and I would have to ask... what did you soak the chain in ???, because..

over expanded O-rings could possible cause excessive friction and then rotational harmonic vibration.