CBR1100XX.org Forum

Silly question

Scated

I think I know the answer but here goes: When I picked up my '02 Silver Bird it came sans the bolt that holds the fairing down below the kickstand. I've gove through the process of buying the bolt and finding a backing nut but I can't bring myself to put in on. It's a serious pain in the ass. What kind of design is that. I really can't see the necessity when I pull that lower left cowl on a pretty regular basis to access the oil filter.

Am I alone here or just completely blind?

It's not a bolt there from the factory, it's one of those push pins. Mine went missing pretty early on, never to be replaced.

See now that makes perfect sense! Too bad the stealership, along with me peering at the fiche, couldn't advise me that that was a pin not a bolt. I'm sure they enjoyed selling me another $5 bolt! Thanks.

I was able to change my oil and filter for the first time yesterday w/o having to take any of the fairing off. I had not noticed before (until I saw mentioned in another thread) that there is an opening underneath motor. I easy access to drain bolt and not as easy but do able access to filter. :icon_biggrin:

It's not a bolt there from the factory, it's one of those push pins. Mine went missing pretty early on, never to be replaced.

The original clip was one of those two piece ones with the plastic philips head screw in the middle. I replaced mine with the same push pin that the rest of the bike uses, and my OCD forces me to re-install it properly each time I remove the fairings.

I still prefer to pull the fairings for oil changes. Much easier to get at what you need to, plus it allows me to clean up better when I'm done.

+1, I have the habbit to overlube my chain and this part gets veeeery dirty. Put it back if you sell it..

PS: Tim , you are a brave man to admitt it openly. I wouldn't if you didn't :icon_lol:

I still prefer to pull the fairings for oil changes. Much easier to get at what you need to, plus it allows me to clean up better when I'm done.

By the way, here is a photo sequel changing oil & air filter on the Bird on my driveway (since my garage is for one car and very tight). The text is in Greek but if anybody finds it interesting, I could translate it..

I just zip tied it on mine.

This is a great solution, and it also works very well for the two holes that hold the fairings together at the front. Right now, I have bolts in there, but the zip tie is so much more convenient.