CBR1100XX.org Forum

Marine charging system question

airborneXX

When out on my uncles boat last week the depth finder was intermittently reading high voltage. So I switched it over to give us the voltage reading. While running the voltage would run 13.5 to 14 volts. Every couple of minutes it would spike to 17.5-18 volts. At 18 volts the depth finder would flash high voltage. Then it would drop back to normal.

Boat is a 95 22' Mako center console with a 95 200 hp Mercury outboard

Any thoughts, besides the hull being cupped :icon_think:

Not much of a marine guy but I wouldn't trust the voltage gauge on the depth finder. Get a Multimeter to confirm the voltage spikes or real voltage gauge installed and confirm it's accuate.

You are correct as I don't really trust the depthfinder at depth finding either :icon_lol: I'm going to bring my VOM and clip cords with me on the next trip out. The boat's going to be coming here for a little while for other repairs when we pull it out next month. So I'm trying to get "to do" list together so we don't have any surprises in the spring.

I assume the boat has a alternator instead of generator.

You can easily get 120VAC from a alternator. I had a cutout relay on one of my trucks so I could run drills and hedge clippers off of it. If you are really getting spikes, then the regulator is going. Better to know this at the dock.