CBR1100XX.org Forum

Help! Installing Heli Bars

01xxallen

I'm about half way through installing heli bars. So far so good, but I've hit a snag on the clutch banjo bolt. I have to rotate the line out, but I can't budge the banjo bolt. The brake side was snug but do-able. I guess I'm asking: How strong are those? I'd hate to break it :icon_wall:

Maybe a little heat from a heat gun?

Tap it a few times?

Curse?

I'm about half way through installing heli bars. So far so good, but I've hit a snag on the clutch banjo bolt. I have to rotate the line out, but I can't budge the banjo bolt. The brake side was snug but do-able. I guess I'm asking: How strong are those? I'd hate to break it :icon_wall:

Tap it a few times?

Curse?

Are you trying to undo the bolt while the MC is off, if so it will be a lot harder to undo, maybe try putting the MC back on the original clip on and the clip on loosely on the fork just to get some leverage :icon_think: Just enough to "break the bond" so to speak, also I assume you have taken the lug off the screen side of the MC so that the banjo will rotate once it is loose :icon_wink:

Tap it a few times?

Curse?

Are you trying to undo the bolt while the MC is off, if so it will be a lot harder to undo, maybe try putting the MC back on the original clip on and the clip on loosely on the fork just to get some leverage :icon_think: Just enough to "break the bond" so to speak, also I assume you have taken the lug off the screen side of the MC so that the banjo will rotate once it is loose :icon_wink:

Yes, I dremmeled off the lug. Put the clutch back on the origional bar. I pulled hard enough to rotate the clutch assembly on the bar, but no joy on the banjo bolt.

I would be really nervous about applying heat to that area. The m/cyl paint/rubber seals/brake fluid do not take very kindly to heat. Get a well fitting wrench on the bolt and try tapping it firmly but not abusively with a heavy soft blow hammer. You will be replicating the actions of an impact socket (don't even think of an air gun). That may be just enough to "break" the bolt's hold. A touch of penetrating oil MIGHT help a bit. It's possible that the washers have also stuck between the bolt and m/cyl housing. Make sure that the clip on and the m/cyl housing are both tight. Don't forgrt to put a towel under it, in case you lose some fluid. If the fluid looks dark or you let some air into the system, be prepaired to bleed it, too!

Thanks for all who responded. I did everything. A little heat, so I could still touch it, a few taps, a little spray.

I ended up putting a large screwdriver between the M/C and the old bars so it wouldn't turn, and turned the wrench. It broke free with a snap, but nothing broke. I even had a bowl standing by to catch the fluid if it broke.

New bars went on like butter. :icon_evilgrin:

• 1 year later...
I thought that you did not need to move anything when installing Heli bars?

You shouldn't need to on Heli's, only with the VFR bars should the banjo need to be rotated to clear the clip on :icon_confused: