CBR1100XX.org Forum

900RR Shock

Para045

Well I started to fit the 900RR shock and shim today and they went in fairly easily, now I just need to make sure of the mounting position of the remote reservoir, I have zip tied it to the underside of the left seat frame but it looks like there may not be enough clearance to the chainguard, how much clearance should there be :Any thoughts - Herbxx, others ?[attachmentid=5020][attachmentid=5021][attachmentid=5022][attachmentid=5023] [attachmentid=5025][attachmentid=5026]

post-2722-1163771506_thumb.jpg

post-2722-1163771541_thumb.jpg

post-2722-1163771571_thumb.jpg

post-2722-1163771635_thumb.jpg

post-2722-1163771917_thumb.jpg

post-2722-1163772025_thumb.jpg

I used hose clamps to attach mine to the subframe, much more secure than zip ties, IMO.

I also notched the leading edge of the factory chain guard for clearance.

I mounted mine under the battery box cross ways . I made a little mount and bolted to through from the batterybox after taking out the battery. if you position it right you can still get at the adjuster pretty easy with a short screw driver.

If you need a pic I can take one later today, if i can find a place to host it.

Herb

I used hose clamps to attach mine to the subframe, much more secure than zip ties, IMO.

I mounted mine under the battery box cross ways . I made a little mount and bolted to through from the batterybox after taking out the battery. if you position it right you can still get at the adjuster pretty easy with a short screw driver.

Herb

If you have a pic that would be great, I actually wondered myself about trying to mount it under there somewhere. I know its hard to see in the pics but do you thing that there is enough clearance where it is at the moment as there is about 1" between the chain guard and the reservoir :icon_think: I probably should have gotten the shock guy to put on a longer hose :icon_think: BTW Northman I was only going to use the zip ties as a temp measure to make sure it fitted before getting some hose clamps or similar :icon_wink: Is this where you mounted yours ?

[attachmentid=5037]Just went out and snapped one hope it shows enough

Herb

If you have a pic that would be great, I actually wondered myself about trying to mount it under there somewhere. I know its hard to see in the pics but do you thing that there is enough clearance where it is at the moment as there is about 1" between the chain guard and the reservoir :icon_think: I probably should have gotten the shock guy to put on a longer hose :icon_think: BTW Northman I was only going to use the zip ties as a temp measure to make sure it fitted before getting some hose clamps or similar :icon_wink: Is this where you mounted yours ?

post-139-1163805592_thumb.jpg

[attachmentid=5037]Just went out and snapped one hope it shows enough

Herb

Yeah well I ended up turning the shock 180 deg - not because of the bolt though as when bolted up there was about 10mm gap bolt to res tank, it was because of the length of the hose :icon_think: . When mounted to the l/h subframe I think that the clearance to the chain guard wasn't enough and would have caused binding :icon_nono: . Northman did say he notched the front of his chain guard but I didn't want that :icon_eh: . Herbxx thanks for showing us a pic of it mounted under the batt box. In the end after rotating 180 deg I mounted the res to the ali bracket that the foot peg fits onto, basically the opposite of where it is in the pics, I cut a bicycle inner tube and slipped it over the res to protect it and used a big hose clamp :icon_smile: . 17:37 Just finished - the shock was easy putting the pannier frame back together was a bitch though as while I was at it I took off the rear cowl and Araldited some cracks near the grab handle and the mounting holes Now going to have a shower and test my new shock, 6mm shim and new Pilot Road :icon_biggrin:

Well took my Bird out for a quick spin ( 10-15 min ) and I am still trying to get my "boner" to go down - what a difference :icon_clap: I can't believe it 900RR shock, 6mm shim and a new P/R rear tire and she feels like a different bike, I mean when I got rid of the D208 on the front and put on the P/P it felt good but the 900RR shock and shim have transformed her :icon_dance: . I was actually searching for potholes, drains and manhole covers just to convince myself it wasn't a dream and the rear shock just took it all in it's stride and I haven't even started playing with it yet :icon_nono: . The preload is set on the softest setting, the comp is set 1 turn in from full soft and rebound 1 turn out from full hard, she actually felt weird when I first got on her as she is a fair bit higher although my feet are still flat on the ground - just my legs are straight and the fact that the rear actually springs down and up again when I put my weight on the seat as opposed to just squatting down ( amazing what a properly weighted spring will do :icon_doh: ). I can't wait to take her out on a longer ride tomorrow and test them on the shitty, bumpy roads near work. She even goes through the corners a lot easier ( and quicker ) although I wasn't really pushing her with the new rear tyre Thanks to HerbXX and Stealth and Raven from Ozblackbird for the help/advice in getting this done :icon_cool::icon_dance::icon_biggrin::icon_wink:

I had the same problem with the cowel cracking . I added this little brace a couple of years ago , i think it should help stabilize that area.

Its just 1/2 tube with a nut welded to each and and a couple if contersunk machine screws.

I was considering welding somethin in there, but i didn't feel like taking the subframe off , or taking the chance of welding with it one ther .

post-139-1163859048_thumb.jpg

post-139-1163859078_thumb.jpg