CBR1100XX.org Forum

Am I still running to rich?

Pete in PA

I bumped up the pilot jet 1 size from stock and the pilot screw is out 2 turns.

This morning at 38F (bike outside all night) I could start it by just cracking the throttle with no choke and feathering the throttle.

Can anyone else who is jetted start their bike sans choke?

I bumped up my pilot jet because I had the screw at 3.5 turns out and read that passed 3 turns out you should go up 1 size on the pilot jet.

The riding year is dwidleing down but I hope to get a few tanks through to check mileage.

Since we've been discussing the whole jetting thing in my post, and also having a '98, I'll weigh in. I wouldn't be able to cold-start my ride with no choke right now. Maaaaybe in the middle of summer when it's warm in the AM, but not right now!

I'm hoping we get just a little bit more weather like last week too! Almost 70 degrees last Thursday. . . nice!

Cheers,

Kevin

Since we've been discussing the whole jetting thing in my post, and also having a '98, I'll weigh in. I wouldn't be able to cold-start my ride with no choke right now. Maaaaybe in the middle of summer when it's warm in the AM, but not right now!

I'm hoping we get just a little bit more weather like last week too! Almost 70 degrees last Thursday. . . nice!

Cheers,

Kevin

Same here... Any bike that I've been able to cold-start with no choke has been PIG RICH and gotten horrible mileage...

Mike

So where's the big difference?

The #45 pilots don't even seem bigger visually, my screws are at 2 turns out, and my stock needles are shimmed an extra 15 thousanths.

Looks like I'll be able to ride today and tomorrow, I'll see about MPG.

So where's the big difference?

The #45 pilots don't even seem bigger visually, my screws are at 2 turns out, and my stock needles are shimmed an extra 15 thousanths.

Looks like I'll be able to ride today and tomorrow, I'll see about MPG.

you won't be able to see the difference, but when you're talking about so little fuel going through there, a little difference is a big deal...

Mike

Rich--My 98XX--running 145's on the mains, Ti needles, stock pilots, 2 turns out. Akra pipe. Elevation 410 here.

I can start w/o choke in the summer.

Not now, needs choke.

Maybe I'll go back to stock pilots, I should go back all the way to stock and start over since I only started taking detailed notes halfway through the process. :icon_banghead:

Don't know how they are built but I would assume that you need a vacuum signal through the body of the carb and fuel in the float bowls. The ones I have seen are nothing more than a plunger that opens an additional passage within the body of the carb and lets extra fuel get sucked up from the float bowl. Just cause the plunger is fully against its seat doesn't mean it is not leaking. Might get pretty complex to check but you should be able to remove each of the plungers and examine the sealing surface. If you are sure that your jetting is pretty much on, you could use a multgas exhaust sniffer to check idle mixture. HC and CO should probably be way high at idle and then drop off once the throttle tips in but, if the leak is bad enough, that may not work.

Just talking in generalities here as I have zero experience with carbed 'birds. Is there something in the service manual about them? Honda is pretty good about providing procedures for checking stuff like that.

Pete do you think this has anything to do with you drilling your mufflers, as I liked the idea of that but not if it is going to fuck up my running and milage :icon_think:

Pete do you think this has anything to do with you drilling your mufflers, as I liked the idea of that but not if it is going to fuck up my running and milage :icon_think:

If anything drilling the mufflers should lean out the running and give me better mileage.

In the service manual it shows how to remove the enrichener plungers but no way to check them. I might as well pull them and look though.

Another thought, if they all move at the same time there must be some sliding bar or other type linkage to activate them. You might want to check that there is some freedom in the mechanism and no dirt causing, perhaps, one or two of them to not fully go to the closed position. A little rock or any other debris could allow one to close prematurely and thereby keep the others open a tad.

Flipping the carbs over and removing the float bowls should reveal the passage for the enrichener circuit. You could then (gently) blow through the passage with the enrichener lever pushed closed and see if one or more of them offers less resistance than the others. The plunger should seal completly and you should not be able to do more than build a little pressure. A soda straw or one of those extender tubes from a chain lube or WD-40 can might help get you a good enough seal to test.

Well I'm going to yank the carb bank again this morning. I'll check the choke plungers on all the carbs and I'm putting the stock pilot jets back in and lowering the needles a little.

I'm having problems finding tiny washers in the right thickness, may try sanding down brass ones thinner.

I want it to run great but still want my 40 mpg.

Well I'm almost back to stock carb settings, only difference is my larger slide vac. hole, 5 thousandths higher needle, and 2 turns out on pilot screw.

Ran fine at 42 deg. f. so I should have my 40 mpg back. I only got 70 miles on her yesterday in this mode.

Makes me wonder why I changed everything. :icon_confused: Maybe just needed a good carb. cleaning.

And yes I'm back to needing the choke at 30 degrees this morning.

Way to go, Pete. I can get 40 but I really have to ride at boring speeds. Read the foregoing as riding up I-81 through VA with my radar detector disconnected and in my saddle bag. One of these days, I'm just gonna attatch a bulkhead fitting into the bag and leave it connected in there. I have both the remote display and the remote audio for my V1 so all I need is to install a RJ11 pass through on the underside of my tail trunk. I'll lose lidar but that is just a signal to pull over anyway.