CBR1100XX.org Forum

PICS of new GIVI mounts under construction

HERBXX

I got bored out in the shop so i though i woul post a couple pics. There is still a lot to do but there is enough done you can get the idea. Im using 304 stainless1/2 inch stainless with 1/16 wall. Used my old mild steel ones and built a sort of jig. If I'm patient they will polish to match the pipes,

The third pic is my tubing bendors.

Herb

clicking on frogs seems to bring up pictures for now :icon_clap:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

EDIT BY MODERATOR: Pictures too big, changed to a link

I changed to thumbnails, if this is not ok please correct mod but they seem to work now

May just be the angle of your photos, but are you trying to move your panniers further back?

I'm trying to work a way of moving my cases back to give my pillion more room for her feet. At the moment she cannot get her toes on the pegs with the cases in place.

Nice work. So are you building custom mounts because the wing rack is so ugly or another reason?

Thanks !

I'm building them mainly cause I building stuff an I'm cheap

I built my first set because I thought the wing rack and fitting kit were 2 expensive and ugly. I had a set I made out regular steel, that were to be a prototype for stainless. I used them for 2 or 3 years then one got hammered pretty bad when my bike fell off the work stand , so i'm finally building the stainless ones. I saved my templates from last time so it a little easier this time . These will be little cleaner then the old ones. Since I spend more time with the bags off then on I think the stainless will match better. I also have the stainless tail and seat rack so it all should match when I get done . As long as i dont get bored polishing.

Herb

May just be the angle of your photos, but are you trying to move your panniers further back?

I'm trying to work a way of moving my cases back to give my pillion more room for her feet. At the moment she cannot get her toes on the pegs with the cases in place.

I copied where I thought the bags where in relation to some 5 star racks someone took some pics of for me. I have never really used them with a pasenger though i pretty sure i borrowed someone to make sure one would fit ok when I built the first set . I mount the bags with the bottom parallel to the exhaust. This tips the bags forward so it might give more room if the standard rack mounts the bags flatter. The only mounting point on the rack in the pic is the little round piece with the whole in the center on the lower brace. The front mounting pins screws into that hole once I replace my busted tap, mabe that will give you an idea as to wether mine are further back or not. It might be week or 2 until i get it finshed enought to actually clip the bag on. I imagine if you built a custom fitting kit for the wing rack you could move it back a few inches.

Herb

Man, that sure looks better than the standard wingrack that I have. The tilt on the bags is much nicer too as they kinda flow with the lines of the bike.

Thanks :icon_biggrin: I think once they are polished they should look decent without the bags as well. I jigged the bag position off of the pipes so the slant is the same give or take. It still looks fat assed from the back but there is not much you can do about that . The tail rack that you can't see as well also follows the the slant of the seat. There is another section for the tail rack that covers the passenger seat area.

Herb

Herb,

That really is some nice work there :icon_clap: :icon_clap: :icon_clap:

Is there any chance you could give me some meaurements? There's a couple of us working on similar ideas here, but you seem to have sorted the problem.

If possible could you measure from the centre of the top bag fixing to a couple of points on the bike and also the height of the ground?

Sorry to be cheeky, but if you don't ask.....

Herb,

That really is some nice work there :icon_clap: :icon_clap: :icon_clap:

Is there any chance you could give me some meaurements? There's a couple of us working on similar ideas here, but you seem to have sorted the problem.

If possible could you measure from the centre of the top bag fixing to a couple of points on the bike and also the height of the ground?

Sorry to be cheeky, but if you don't ask.....

NP , I would be glad too . I still only have the left one , I Have the origional ones I made but the right is twisted to much to be bothered fixing. I can give you whatever measurements you need. I which i had a cad pgm and knew yhow use it . I took draftingn highschool, but that is little good now.

Give me a few days I dont have much time till the weekend. Locating stuff in free space is hard without a starting point. I will mabe drop a line done from the top mount to get a verticle a center line . The real key is to get the bottom mounts. But i can keep taking meaurements till you get what you need ! It just might take a couple tries. Do you really want the mount to the ground ? It will very depending on the bike , i can measure it on the center stand of you like ?

Thanks Herb, that would be great.

No rush in doing it, what I am really after is the ability for my girlfriend to be able to get her toes comfortably on the pillion pegs rather than just her heels. We did nearly 3000, mostly non motorway, miles around Europe this year and it was very painful for her at times, having to be locked in one position.

So, if you can just give me a fix on where the middle of that top case mount is in relation to, say three points on the bike, that would be superb. I can then work the rest out for myself.

Thanks again.

Jon