CBR1100XX.org Forum

Rear shock differences 97,98 and 99 up

blkbrdrydr

According to Ron Ayers microfiche, Honda installed part number 52400 MAT 003 on 97,98 models and part number 52400 MAT E01 on 99 and up models. The later appears to be gas charged.

Has anyone ridden with both rear shocks and is there really a noticeable difference between the two models?

According to Ron Ayers microfiche, Honda installed part number 52400 MAT 003 on 97,98 models and part number 52400 MAT E01 on 99 and up models. The later appears to be gas charged.

Has anyone ridden with both rear shocks and is there really a noticeable difference between the two models?

There is supposed to be no difference between the function of these shocks. The only difference is (supposedly) the way it's mounted on top. They are not interchangeable.

Guest rockmeupto125

I don't believe there is an appreciable difference in the shocks, and both early and late models are gas charged.

If you look at the parts books or microfiche, you'll see that there is listed only one top mount, and one bottom mount for all years. Whatever fits between these has to be reasonably similar in size and shape, or the mounts would have to be revised as well.

I can't imagine any reason why they would NOT interchange.

I don't believe there is an appreciable difference in the shocks, and both early and late models are gas charged.

If you look at the parts books or microfiche, you'll see that there is listed only one top mount, and one bottom mount for all years. Whatever fits between these has to be reasonably similar in size and shape, or the mounts would have to be revised as well.

I can't imagine any reason why they would NOT interchange.

Joe is right, both shocks bolt in the same location.

Honda did update the front forks for 99 with different valving, so may have re-valved the rear as well. Why anyone would consider buying a new stock shock is beyond me, though.

I have a 97' and put a 03 rear shock on it, I eyeballed them side by side didn't see any thing different and it went in easily enough, have put about 10,00 miles on it since then have had no problems, didn't notice abny difference..................

why did i do it? it was 6 years newer and a lot less time bouncing thru New York potholes......

I also have a 97 bird running an 03 shock on it. Only thing I can think of is that when I did the 6mm shim deal I still had plenty of threads sticking out for the locking washer thing?

I also used a little green liquid locktite, NO issue. Think you will be just fine.

Kinley

I also have a 97 bird running an 03 shock on it. Only thing I can think of is that when I did the 6mm shim deal I still had plenty of threads sticking out for the locking washer thing?

I also used a little green liquid locktite, NO issue. Think you will be just fine.

Kinley

Now that you mention it I noticed that on AXXkicker's when we did the shim on his '03. Otherwise I noticed no difference between the two.