CBR1100XX.org Forum

rear shock

Canadian Bird

Is $750.00 US a good price for the #8981 Penske? Can you buy on line from Hard Racing?

Lindemann Engineeering has them for $715 set up for your weight and riding style. Plus Jim is a great guy to work with.

Lindemann Suspensions

Is that the 8981? It didn't say on their web site. Also, does it have ride height adjustment too?

And how important is it that it doesn't have high-speed compression/rebound?

Thanks.

Is $750.00 US a good price for the #8981 Penske? Can you buy on line from Hard Racing?

Lindemann Engineeering has them for $715 set up for your weight and riding style. Plus Jim is a great guy to work with.

Lindemann Suspensions

Is that the 8981? It didn't say on their web site. Also, does it have ride height adjustment too?

And how important is it that it doesn't have high-speed compression/rebound?

Thanks.

It is the 8981 with ride height adjustment. Personally, if your not a suspension super expert (I'm not), I think the lack of high speed compression (doesn't effect rebound) adjustment is negligible at most, particularly since the shock comes valved for your weight and most of us aren't racing these bikes anyway. Others may chime in. If you do a search, everyone with this shock seems happy with it. A couple of people said they preffered it over the Ohlin's IIRC.

I just got mine this week and the workmanship is excellent.

I've had an 8981 on my XX for a few years. I think it's the single best mod. I've done to the bike. As noted above, you won't need the High/low adjustments unless you are an expert. You can add them later if you decide you want them. I'm also running fork springs from Jaws that are about 100mm longer than stock.

I've had an 8981 on my XX for a few years. I think it's the single best mod. I've done to the bike. As noted above, you won't need the High/low adjustments unless you are an expert. You can add them later if you decide you want them. I'm also running fork springs from Jaws that are about 100mm longer than stock.

FWIW - as far as forks go, I couldn't afford the Traxxion cartridges right now so, I sent mine off to Dan Kyle for rework. Just got them back on today and it is incredible the difference it makes. Soaks up the little bumps much better but signigicanly reduced the dive under braking as well as just feeling more planted over all. Haven't had a chance to try them in the twisties yet since I'm now tearing it down to mount the Penske.

I know my stock '97 with 19k on the clock lacks good suspension (ie sluggish handling, jarring over bumps, etc)

I cannot afford to Front and Back at the same time.

What do you folks recommend first? (I'm thinking Front, but maybe I'm wrong)

With the 2 shocks for sale currently on the board, it has got me thinking. :icon_think:

I know my stock '97 with 19k on the clock lacks good suspension (ie sluggish handling, jarring over bumps, etc)

With the 2 shocks for sale currently on the board, it has got me thinking. :icon_think:

Just my personal experience and I'm sure some may disagree:

If your weight is more than 180, you will probably see a big improvment from just changing your fork springs and oil (cheapest mod). I weigh about 170 and didn't see a big difference in the front end from just changing springs (changed at about the same milage your at). Some change but, when I had the valving rework, then it was night and day (cost $440 including new spring,oil etc.).

Most have said the biggest change comes from a different shock but it's also the most espensive. Can't comment on that yet as I'm in the process of installing the shock. YMMV.

Birdman, you have the same weight as me. Could you post a review after you try out your Penske shock? I may get the same one. Where are you in Socal? I'm in West Covina.

Thanks.

=mike=

Just my personal experience and I'm sure some may disagree:

If your weight is more than 180, you will probably see a big improvment from just changing your fork springs and oil (cheapest mod). I weigh about 170 and didn't see a big difference in the front end from just changing springs (changed at about the same milage your at). Some change but, when I had the valving rework, then it was night and day (cost $440 including new spring,oil etc.).

Most have said the biggest change comes from a different shock but it's also the most espensive. Can't comment on that yet as I'm in the process of installing the shock. YMMV.

Thanks for the replies. I have bought a few items from John @ Jaws, and have spoken to him many time re tires, suspension, etc. I firmly believe he knows his stuff. Some times I forward info from this site to him for his oppinion. I will order front springs from him and I will be having the suspension done by a local suspension guy recommended by my dealer/tech. Confession, I've only changed the fork oil once in 100,000 kms and I have the rear on hard since I tour fully loaded a great deal and with my wife also. Now the Bird feels like a "brick" when I go over bumps. I actually have to "stand on the bike" if the bump is big.

Who has had their suspension fully done by an "expert" and what did you pay? shock, springs, labour?

Winter is around the corner, whatever winter Van. has, so I won't ride for a few months, Nov-Feb, usually. I don't want to send my forks anywhere, just take my bike in, pick it up.

Lois, where do you buy Sea Foam in Calgary???

Birdman, done installing your Penske shock yet?

Not yet. I checked the shock over before installing and found the spring had "1200" painted on it. Emailed Penske, and they said it should be a "1000". Hopefully, they will overnight a "1000" to me so I can get it installed before this weekend. I'll keep you posted.

Birdman, done installing your Penske shock yet?

Not yet. I checked the shock over before installing and found the spring had "1200" painted on it. Emailed Penske, and they said it should be a "1000". Hopefully, they will overnight a "1000" to me so I can get it installed before this weekend. I'll keep you posted.

So did you order yours from Lindeman? Did they give you an exchange or did you have to deal with Penske yourself?

So did you order yours from Lindeman? Did they give you an exchange or did you have to deal with Penske yourself?

I ordered mine from Lindemann. When I found the incorrect shock this weekend, I emailed both Lindemann and Penske since I know Lindemann orders the shock shipped from Penske built to his spec. Received an email back from Penske first thing this morning. They are sending me a new spring overnight express and just told me to send back the one I have after I get it exchanged. Overall, a very positive customer service response. I assume Lindmann called Penske this morning and found out they were dealing with the problem.

Prior to purchasing the shock, I had several conversations with Jim Lindemann regarding what he would suggest for the type of riding I did, Great guy and very helpful.

I ordered mine from Lindemann. When I found the incorrect shock this weekend, I emailed both Lindemann and Penske since I know Lindemann orders the shock shipped from Penske built to his spec. Received an email back from Penske first thing this morning. They are sending me a new spring overnight express and just told me to send back the one I have after I get it exchanged. Overall, a very positive customer service response. I assume Lindmann called Penske this morning and found out they were dealing with the problem.

Prior to purchasing the shock, I had several conversations with Jim Lindemann regarding what he would suggest for the type of riding I did, Great guy and very helpful.

I see. So you have the tool to compress/replace the spring yourself?

I see. So you have the tool to compress/replace the spring yourself?

Don't need one. You only have to remove all the preload from the spring and you can access the retainer at the bottom of the shock. Presto, old spring off - new spring on. No special tools required.

• 3 weeks later...