CBR1100XX.org Forum

Oil for cooler climate.. which mobil 1 ?

HERBXX

10W-30 or 10W-40. Best bet for cooler climate is probably 10W-40. If you can find a 5W-40 would be best for cold conditions. Iv'e even seen 0W-30. The lower the first number the qucker it flows from a cold start. I'm more concerned with the second number during warm weather, I like it to be 40 or 50.

Also I know Mobile 1 has some racing 10W-40 spec. for motorcycles. I think I'll try that in my next change.

Rotella T 5w40 synthetic is supposed to be one of the best oils you can buy from all that I've been reading. It is safe for wet clutch applications, i.e. does not have any moly in it. It is readily available and relatively cheap.

Are you talking for the bike or for a car/truck?

Unless your driving the bike at -10C I wouldn't worry about the oil. If your talking really cold and cars/trucks then I normally put 0W-40 or 5W-40 in. But the temps here are probably a bit colder than you will see.

If your in Canada, run the Amsoil motorcycle oil and filter. One of my ride buddies has been using it on a

98 XX since new.....137000km and going strong, been using nothin but in my 01, I just went past 37000 myself.