CBR1100XX.org Forum

Top case option with Beetle bags

Toynut

I have just installed a set of beetle bags on my '03. They look to be spacious enough for around town storage, but, I would like to be able to mount a removable Givi or a piece of soft luggage for longer trips. I would need to find a tail bracket/rack to fit within the existing Corbin hardware or some other solution that would not damage the finish of the beetles(strapping a dufful across the top might damage the lids).

I normally take my FJR or Vstrom for the longer trips (and carrying capacity), but would like to try the XX

on occasion.

Anyone have any ideas? :icon_think:

It looks good, but, I'm not sure if it will fit between the Corbin Beetle spacer studs or not. I would have to remove the grab bar (OK) at the very least, but I don't know if that would be sufficient.

I was going to install a Wing Rack II that I recently bought, but I wasn't excited about the esthetics as well as relocating/swapping the rear indicator lights.

The Beetles look pretty good (couldn't possibly make my ass look any bigger :icon_redface: ) installed, just not super roomy.

Anyone installed this combination (Beetles /SWMotech)?

Dion's right (as usual). I had a pair of Beetle bags mounted on the outside of my Venture rack. I used aluminum spacers to fit them. The bags sat out an inch or so from the side of the bike, but didn't present any aerodynamic difficulties. The Beetles are a bit small, so you're on the right track with the Givi Top Case idea.

The other question I have relates to the position of a Givi top case on the rack.

A point for consideration is if the top case is too wide or mounted too far forward with a SWMotech rack, will it cause interference with the forward swinging beetle case "doors", so that you would have to remove the case to open the side cases? :icon_redface:

• 2 weeks later...