CBR1100XX.org Forum

Clutch question...

Dutch

The R1 had a cable clutch which makes adjustment easy if it's needed. Never had to do it, but it would've been easier. The XX is, I gather, a little trickier with the hydraulic clutch.

Here's the problem. The friction zone is way out near the end up the throw for the clutch lever. To the point that the bike starts to move when there's maybe 1/4 inch of lever travel left. Is there any adjustment, and if there is, what do I need to do to adjust it? Is it a lever adjustment or is it the clutch itself?

The R1 had a cable clutch which makes adjustment easy if it's needed. Never had to do it, but it would've been easier. The XX is, I gather, a little trickier with the hydraulic clutch.

Here's the problem. The friction zone is way out near the end up the throw for the clutch lever. To the point that the bike starts to move when there's maybe 1/4 inch of lever travel left. Is there any adjustment, and if there is, what do I need to do to adjust it? Is it a lever adjustment or is it the clutch itself?

I believe that there is a little adjustment in the lever, But I would start by bleading down your Master/Slave before doing anything else. (your clutch set up works the same way your frnt brk set up does)

If that doesn't float yer boat, then try the search feature....there's been lots posted about it there.

did some searching myself on this topic, as my bike has the same problem (on cable clutches, I always set them up so the friction zone was pretty immediate when releasing the lever - felt a LOT safer doing small radius turns and such in tighter areas)...

Anyway, seems that, aside from simply adjusting the clutch lever swing itself (which doesn't actually change the point of friction zone engagement), the friction zone engagement point adjusts automatically, and can likely be improved by replacing the fluid..

Anyone have any other tips, please let me know!!

Guest rockmeupto125

Schweet! Congrats!

Hondas all release way out on the lever. You can alter the static lever position adjustment with the thumbwheel very easily. There's no other adjustment available.

What he said. But as a general practice you should change the fluid. It's subject to heat and degrades regularly.

On another note, saw your pictures. Nice lookin bike brother. But how did you hook up with such a cute girl? Did you lie to her or somethin? :icon_stickpoke:

I believe there is another adjustment under the clutch basket cover. I havn't looked myself but that is what I have been told. It should adjust where the clutch takes up. It's late here, I chase it up tomorrow.

Hope you're right... :icon_pray: I always liked a more immediate engagement when releasing the clutch lever and the cable clutches I'm used to are so damn easy to adjust.. Surely there has to be a better way for the hydraulic clutch to be fine-tuned!

But then, a broken clutch cable is the only thing that EVER left me stranded on a Honda.. Wait, it was aftermarket, never mind!

:icon_biggrin:

But how did you hook up with such a cute girl? Did you lie to her or somethin? :icon_stickpoke:

I ask myself that same question all the time... Not that I'm complaining, of course :icon_wink:

And to top it off, she loves to ride.

post-72-1160950282_thumb.jpg