CBR1100XX.org Forum

Knocking sound from the left side of my Bird...

mirkhanus

Hi,

Does anyone have any ideas on what could be the cause of a knocking sound from the left side of the bike, somewhere from the engine to the drive chain. I still can't figure it out. When I'm throttling at low speed, the sound is more obvious than at higher speeds (Probably wind noise muffles it?). It is especially noisy at the lower gears. But when I'm gliding with a closed throttle, the sound disappears... Also, I can feel some vibrations on the foot-pegs which is synchronized with the knocks...

I've checked the chain as well as the chain guide however, that's not the possible cause as I've clean & lubed the chain as well as changed the tension... What I'm afraid is the clutch/gear plates....

Any help, bros??

Thanks for the replies however I doubt that it's the CCT as I changed it about 2 months back.

Furthermore, the knocking sound appears only at 2000 RPM and above.... and stays there until I close throttle.

I have a distinct feeling that it could be the chain knocking onto something however I can't seem to find what it is... The chain guide on the swingarm appears ok also. Funny thing is that I tested the bike on mainstand, running it on the 1st, 2nd & 3rd gears however there is no knocking sound... Still looking at other possibilities...

How old is the chain? Does the knocking noise get worse with load?

If the noise gets worse with load, it sounds like the chain is the problem. Should feel it in the left peg more than the right, as well.

Here are the sounds, which one does it sound like?

1. Clutch Plates: When the bike is in neutral blip the throttle, you'll hear a small rattle. If you pull in the clutch and do this again the rattle will go away. This is the clutch plates rattling slightly and is normal.

2. CCT: When riding, or with the bike sitting still, blip the throttle. You may hear a rattle between 1700-2500rpm from the right side of the bike. This is typically a CCT wearing out, again normal and an easy fix.

3. Chain: When riding you usually notice it at lower speeds due to the wind noise being less. Sounds like a 'clunk clunk' as the chain goes around. It's either loose or has a link that is binding. If you put the bike on the centerstand you often times cant hear it beacuse there is no load on the suspension/chain. You can also sometimes feel it in the pegs on decel when riding.

4. Slight Knock: When the bike is warm/hot you may hear what sounds like a 'light knock' in the bottom of the engine, and a slight vibration in the pegs. Not sure what causes this, but many owners report it. My 97 has been doing it since day one when it gest close to the H. When its cold it never does it, but when it gets hot it will do it.

Hopefully that helps?

Bro TechnoGecko,

Seems like the problem is most likely the 3rd problem you mentioned. It does not make any sound when on mainstand but with load, it does make noise.....

With wifey pillion, it's even noisier!

Anyway, I'll check the chain for any abnormalities. What should I be looking for in the 1st place??

Funny thing, I changed the X-Ring chain about 2 months back only.... And I clean & lube it regularly....*sigh*

I've also got a knocking sound on mine too, and since the chain adjustment was in spec, my thoughts were that it might be the centre stand bouncing off its stop as it kind of feels as though its coming through the footpegs. I havn't fully determined that its this for sure as i need to try and see if it happens only when i go over bumps.

Put the bike on the centerstand, start it, and put it in gear. Idle is fast enough. Watch the top of the chain as is moves toward the front sprocket. If you see the chain moving up and down, you have a stuck link.

Had the same sounds with 18k miles on the chain. Coasting did not show it since ther was not a load trying to bend that link around the front sprocket. Once you determine that it is a link, you can verify it by trying to move each of the 110 links up and down by hand. I never was able to lubricate mine enough to fix it, just replaced the chain. Problem solved.

Checking the chain is easy. Put the bike on the center stand and put it in neutral and turn the tire and watch the chain. Each link should flatten out as it goes around the sprocket, if it does not its stuck. Try pivoting each chain link, if it moves each way with ease and does not stick then its good. It only takes 1 bad link to really notice...