CBR1100XX.org Forum

Gearing Confusion!

Blackbird228

I was reading the thread on Gearing but I have a slight problem. I have read in some catalogs that the stock gearing for my 1997 Bird is 17/44 and others say it is 17/45. Which is it? I am confused!! :icon_confused: My current gearing is 17/47 with a nice new gold chain. I am really thinking about doing a swap back down in the rear and going with the 18 tooth in the front. I know that my speedo is off right now but I don't know how bad. Also my MPG is screwed as well as the correct mileage. What do you guys suggest? Thanks for any help in this situation!

Help me out, I hafe 100200 kms on a Can. 02 Bird. Stock gearing. What's my true milage?

About 7% less but it also depends on tire pressure/tire size and lean angle.

The margin of error in our speedo's is so that even when leaned over the true speed will not be more than indicated.

Help me out, I hafe 100200 kms on a Can. 02 Bird. Stock gearing. What's my true milage?

About 7% less but it also depends on tire pressure/tire size and lean angle.

The margin of error in our speedo's is so that even when leaned over the true speed will not be more than indicated.

You are incorrect with that statement.

While the stock speedo reads ~7% high, the odometer is surprisingly accurate. Your odometer will vary depending on lean angles & tire wear, however.

You are incorrect with that statement.

While the stock speedo reads ~7% high, the odometer is surprisingly accurate. Your odometer will vary depending on lean angles & tire wear, however.

+1 my 03's odometer is DEAD on... speedo is out 7% give or take a little with factory gearing.