CBR1100XX.org Forum

Diablo Strada Rear/Diablo Front Tire Combo

JB4XX

Have you ever run a Pilot Power up front and Pilot Road on the back? If so how do they compare to what you now run?

I just took off that exact combo and I like the Diablo's better. I liked the Road because it would last forever, but it has a flat profile and doesnt give the feedback I get with the Diablo's. The road/power setup would be fine if you were doing 80-90% commuting. The Diablos have a better profile and have stayed planted at every corner I have thrown at them so far. If the Strada lasts almost as long as a Road, then I will continue to run this setup.

Power front/rear is the best I have run. I only get 4-4500 out of a set of Powers though. Good for many but I do too many miles to be changing new tires every two months. My riding is about 60% commute with side roads thrown on the way home.

Power front/rear is the best I have run. I only get 4-4500 out of a set of Powers though. Good for many but I do too many miles to be changing new tires every two months. My riding is about 60% commute with side roads thrown on the way home.

This is the same riding I do. So the Diablos have a greater mileage rating? Do they stick to the road as well as the Pilot Powers?

There are very close to the Powers as far as feel and traction. I've heard of the Strada's lasting 8-10k on the XX so if they do, I have a new new friend.

:icon_biggrin:

BTW, I believe the secret to the Strada is that it is a dual compound tire.

There are very close to the Powers as far as feel and traction. I've heard of the Strada's lasting 8-10k on the XX so if they do, I have a new new friend.

Any idea what Warchild is running for tires?

Any idea what Warchild is running for tires?

He's usually touting the Avons...

The Pirelli Diablo Stradas, and the Metzler Z6's are prety similar. The rubber compound is comparable, but the Z6 is a little harder and I think you will get a few more miles. The Stradas on my friends FJR1300 lasted a little over 4500 we often ride together and my Metz lasted 6200. The Pirelli Diablo Stradas may be best if you ride really aggressive and still put on alot of miles. The profile compairing the Stradas with the Metz Z6 is vastly different. the Stradas have a much sharper profile, I imagine they turn in and handle amazingly! I ride moderatly aggressive and in Kansas the roads are long and straight for this reason the Metz combo works best for me. In my opinion if i were to ever run anything be the Metzlers it would without a single doubt be the Pirelli Diablo Stradas

The Pirelli Diablo Stradas, and the Metzler Z6's are prety similar. The rubber compound is comparable, but the Z6 is a little harder and I think you will get a few more miles. The Stradas on my friends FJR1300 lasted a little over 4500 we often ride together and my Metz lasted 6200. The Pirelli Diablo Stradas may be best if you ride really aggressive and still put on alot of miles. The profile compairing the Stradas with the Metz Z6 is vastly different. the Stradas have a much sharper profile, I imagine they turn in and handle amazingly! I ride moderatly aggressive and in Kansas the roads are long and straight for this reason the Metz combo works best for me. In my opinion if i were to ever run anything be the Metzlers it would without a single doubt be the Pirelli Diablo Stradas

hm... I was under the impression that since Metzler and Perelli are basically one company, the Z6 and stradas were basically the same tire with a slightly different tread pattern?

I've got a set of strata rear and diablo front ready to mount in the garage as we speak, but my powers aren't done just yet... I've got 6500 miles on the rear Power, and it's not down to the wear bars yet, and the front's got 8500 miles on it and it still going strong... I'll probably get another ~500 miles until the wear bars on the rear, and will keep them on to see how far is between the wear bars and bald tread...

Mike

hm... I was under the impression that since Metzler and Perelli are basically one company, the Z6 and stradas were basically the same tire with a slightly different tread pattern?

I've got a set of strata rear and diablo front ready to mount in the garage as we speak, but my powers aren't done just yet... I've got 6500 miles on the rear Power, and it's not down to the wear bars yet, and the front's got 8500 miles on it and it still going strong... I'll probably get another ~500 miles until the wear bars on the rear, and will keep them on to see how far is between the wear bars and bald tread...

Mike

Why are you switching from Pilot Powers? Do you think Pilot Powers on the front and Pilot Roads on the rear is a good combination?

Mike

Why are you switching from Pilot Powers? Do you think Pilot Powers on the front and Pilot Roads on the rear is a good combination?

Just switching it up to see what's out there... before these Powers, I had only done 3 sets of roads and nothing else... Before I resign myself to just running powers and only powers until something better comes out, I wanted to try the diablos first... Nothing like saying "The XXXXX tires are the best tires EVER, but they're the only tire I've ever run... but they're the best!... but I have no basis for comparison... but I like them!" That is the only reason I'm running the diablo front, strada rear this time... plus they were $25 cheaper for the set... that helped...

I ran the front power for a couple thousand miles with a nearly shagged out rear Road, and there was a bigger difference in cornering feel between the Power/road and the road/road than there was between the power/road and the power/power... If I was REALLY going somewhere and NEEDED more than 6k out of a rear (like to CA or something), I'd probably run power front/road rear... Just strictly for mileage, but I'm to the point that if I'm getting 7k out of a rear Power and 10k out of a rear road, and they cost about the same, then I'd rather have the grip ANY TIME and not wait for the tire to get hot... Something I used to do with the rear road was: when it was cold outside (~30 or below) and the tires had 42psi in them, I used to get good and leaned over and gas it more than normal, and get a good, controlled, power slide out of it... It was always VERY predictable and VERY controllable, and would come back into line if I let off the gas a little but... I could feel it, but I don't know if you could see it happening or not, but it was there... The powers don't do that in a cold rain. I was able to get the roads to ball up rubber and SITCK down in TN though, so they are a good tire, just not as sticky as the Power...

Mike

Mike

Just switching it up to see what's out there... before these Powers, I had only done 3 sets of roads and nothing else... Before I resign myself to just running powers and only powers until something better comes out, I wanted to try the diablos first... Nothing like saying "The XXXXX tires are the best tires EVER, but they're the only tire I've ever run... but they're the best!... but I have no basis for comparison... but I like them!" That is the only reason I'm running the diablo front, strada rear this time... plus they were $25 cheaper for the set... that helped...

I ran the front power for a couple thousand miles with a nearly shagged out rear Road, and there was a bigger difference in cornering feel between the Power/road and the road/road than there was between the power/road and the power/power... If I was REALLY going somewhere and NEEDED more than 6k out of a rear (like to CA or something), I'd probably run power front/road rear... Just strictly for mileage, but I'm to the point that if I'm getting 7k out of a rear Power and 10k out of a rear road, and they cost about the same, then I'd rather have the grip ANY TIME and not wait for the tire to get hot... Something I used to do with the rear road was: when it was cold outside (~30 or below) and the tires had 42psi in them, I used to get good and leaned over and gas it more than normal, and get a good, controlled, power slide out of it... It was always VERY predictable and VERY controllable, and would come back into line if I let off the gas a little but... I could feel it, but I don't know if you could see it happening or not, but it was there... The powers don't do that in a cold rain. I was able to get the roads to ball up rubber and SITCK down in TN though, so they are a good tire, just not as sticky as the Power...

Mike

So, all in all, with Powers up front and Road on the rear would work better in 50 to 60 degree rain and has a longer total mileage life, rear doesn'y get the flat spot from major highway miles and takes a few miles to get warm and sticky. Where the Power/Power doesn't hold the same gripping ability in the rain, but works great dry from the time you first get on the bike, the rear will square off quickly from highway miles and gets less total mileage.

The SR-71 had Michlens tires.

Thx,

Bob

They are in many respects the same they use similar rubber compounds, but the Metzlers ahve a flatter profile the Stradas have a sharper profile. I chose the Metzlers because they have a flatter contour and for this reason I thought they would work better for my straight shot riding.

I've gone through three sets of Diablos now and like them. I've had absolutely no loss of traction at anytime, hot or cold. I have the softer regular Diablo on the front and a Strada on the rear. The only thing I don't like is that there's no tread or wear bars on the middle of the rear tire to let you know how worn it is. Since these tires are pointy and nimble when new, you can really feel the difference in transition when the rear gets flat-spotted. It also gets a bit squirmy when leaned over right on that edge. I replace my rear tire when it starts feeling like two separate halves connected by a hanky. I have no idea what kind of mileage I get from them.

I haven't tried the Michelins, yet, but I've never heard a bad thing about them. For the type of riding I do, the Power front/Road rear would probably be a good combination.

• 5 months later...

I Just went with this setup today, and am wondering what psi you guys run your Pirelli's at. I use my bike mostly for commuting, but on some fairly twisty roads. I'm about 210 lbs. geared up, and have a full complement (3) of Givi cases mounted. If I'm on an overnight trip, add another 25 lbs for my crew bag.

I always wear a smile when I ride my 'Bird to work...

Cheers,

Tom

I Just went with this setup today, and am wondering what psi you guys run your Pirelli's at. I use my bike mostly for commuting, but on some fairly twisty roads. I'm about 210 lbs. geared up, and have a full complement (3) of Givi cases mounted. If I'm on an overnight trip, add another 25 lbs for my crew bag.

I always wear a smile when I ride my 'Bird to work...

Cheers,

Tom

They work fine at 42/42 unless I'm out specifically running corners all day, then it's 37R/36F

So, all in all, with Powers up front and Road on the rear would work better in 50 to 60 degree rain and has a longer total mileage life, rear doesn'y get the flat spot from major highway miles and takes a few miles to get warm and sticky. Where the Power/Power doesn't hold the same gripping ability in the rain, but works great dry from the time you first get on the bike, the rear will square off quickly from highway miles and gets less total mileage.

The SR-71 had Michlens tires.

Thx,

Bob

Sorry, Bob, I didn't see your reply these months ago... That's exactly NOT what I meant... The Powers grip better in every condition. The Roads work well in a cold rain, but the Powers work MUCH better. FWIW, I got 7500 out of my rear Power (it was not squared off until the end, and even then was not horrible), and I only get 10,500 out of a rear Road. I'll try the Pilot Road 2CT next (when it comes out), but other than that, I'm sticking with either both Powers, or the diablo/strada combo until something better comes out. FWIW, as long as I get on it smoothly, and give it time to put some weight on the rear of the bike, and I'm straight up and down, I can go WOT to redline in first gear with the Strada rear on completely wet roads, and it'll stick, and start to pull the front end up.

Mike

I have the Strada's front/rear. Rear is at about 3500 miles and is starting to show some wear. Been using the XX almost solely as a hwy commuter lately.

I'll be going back to Pilot Roads front/rear after the Stradas since they last longer w/hwy commuter use. But the Strada's are nice tires.