CBR1100XX.org Forum

Detailed pics of naked blackbirds?

renxwar

This may not be the right section...but anyway. I'm an owner of the 'birds sister bike, the 1000F Hurricane. Sadly, in the states, these bikes are the redheaded stepchildren. Aftermarket is nonexistant, and not many people seem to be parting them out. I'm in need of a new "outfit" for my bike. Instead of dropping the 1700$ the dealership wants for new plastics (unfortunately pretty much every one of my fairings has some type of damage on it), maybe some custom work can happen down the road. The 1000F and 1100XX share a similar shape, and I've parked next to one before and measured things up. Does anyone have any detailed pictures, preferably of the fairing mounting points? Thanks in advance.

I started off to say there isn't any way without alot of fabrication. However, after having pulled up a picture of myself on both bikes, (different scale, but close enough), and then looking over the microfiche at Ron Ayers, (www.ronayers.com), you might just get away with it, assuming you didn't want the whole side panel, airdam thing. The anchor points are somewhat similar on the frames of both- probably not in exactly the same place, but close. The only real problem is going to be the mirror stays. The Hurricane doesn't have them up where you need them for the 'bird's mirrors and windshield. On a glance, though, it looks doable, and I think you would get more from looking at the online fiche and figuring out a scale than you would be trying to interpret it from whatever pics we could post up. I'd start with the nosecome and go from there. Get one of those unpainted ones that guy is selling on Ebay- or better yet, see if he makes them for the Hurricane- his ad says he fabricates lots of different bikes.

I started off to say there isn't any way without alot of fabrication. However, after having pulled up a picture of myself on both bikes, (different scale, but close enough), and then looking over the microfiche at Ron Ayers, (www.ronayers.com), you might just get away with it, assuming you didn't want the whole side panel, airdam thing. The anchor points are somewhat similar on the frames of both- probably not in exactly the same place, but close. The only real problem is going to be the mirror stays. The Hurricane doesn't have them up where you need them for the 'bird's mirrors and windshield. On a glance, though, it looks doable, and I think you would get more from looking at the online fiche and figuring out a scale than you would be trying to interpret it from whatever pics we could post up. I'd start with the nosecome and go from there. Get one of those unpainted ones that guy is selling on Ebay- or better yet, see if he makes them for the Hurricane- his ad says he fabricates lots of different bikes.

I was actually doubtful at first, too...but seeing them next to each other, they share shapes of pretty much every fairing. I wouldn't think Honda would be lazy enough to make them so similar, but it wouldn't be the first time they did something along those lines. I'll check out those pages and see if anything looks similar.

call Bob at www.empiregp.com

he can repair them to be like new and repaint them for less than buying some new ones. Plus you get the choose what color you want the bike to be. icon_wink.gif

How badly damaged does a plastic piece have to be to cross the line to unrepairable? Many pieces are missing tabs, some are missing good size chunks all together.

Ebay, babeeeee.... When I "dropped" my CBR1000F on the interstate (at 65mph) I got all of my replacement plastic from eGay.

I've been checking out eBay like a priest checks out the choirboys (sorry if that offended anyone) to no avail. I've only found one part, apparently the '95s are scarce, or no ones kind enough to part them out.

If possible, can I still get a pic or two of one taken apart. Sadly, I've seen my baby naked so many times I pretty much have every mounting point memorized.

I was actually doubtful at first, too...but seeing them next to each other, they share shapes of pretty much every fairing. I wouldn't think Honda would be lazy enough to make them so similar, but it wouldn't be the first time they did something along those lines. I'll check out those pages and see if anything looks similar.

call Bob at www.empiregp.com

he can repair them to be like new and repaint them for less than buying some new ones. Plus you get the choose what color you want the bike to be. icon_wink.gif

How badly damaged does a plastic piece have to be to cross the line to unrepairable? Many pieces are missing tabs, some are missing good size chunks all together.

Ebay, babeeeee.... When I "dropped" my CBR1000F on the interstate (at 65mph) I got all of my replacement plastic from eGay.

I've been checking out eBay like a priest checks out the choirboys (sorry if that offended anyone) to no avail. I've only found one part, apparently the '95s are scarce, or no ones kind enough to part them out.

If possible, can I still get a pic or two of one taken apart. Sadly, I've seen my baby naked so many times I pretty much have every mounting point memorized.

Whats your 20? Maybe one of us is close to you. Wouldn't take long to pull a side cover and have a look.

I'm in Durham, NC. I know of two blackbirds, and I've met the owner of one.. unfortunately, I never got his number so I can't call him and check his bike out. I checked out ronayers.com and it didn't really make too much sense since I can't see them side-by-side.