CBR1100XX.org Forum

WTF- coolant spill..

Redbird

So I mount my new MEZ4 for the trip out east and decide to go scrub it in, don't have much time so I head to the local Cineplex parking lot to do some figure eights and such (it's Illinois, feel my pain).

A fifteen minute romp around here to warm the tires up, then about twenty minutes of dicking around at the lot at 20-30 mph, first gear, then half a mile home. I park the bike, take of my gear, and then all of the sudden- gurgle, gurgle, hiss- steam comes rolling off the bike and I have about a pint of water on my garage floor.

I turn the key back on, temp reads 220. Pull the fairing off, it came from the overflow on the resevoir. Start the bike back up, idle it for five or ten minutes- temps hover around 215, won't go any higher once the fan is running, and it won't repeat it's misbehavior. It's about 70 degrees out, but I don't think that's a factor- I've seen 248 on this thing without any boil over.

So what the hell? Bad radiator cap?

Figures it's three business day before neXXt- anybody have a spare cap they're not using? Or any other ideas what this might be?

Nevermind :roll:

I went to pull the cap and check it once the bike had cooled down, it was about 1/8 of a turn from completely locked down. Don't know why this hasn't been a problem in the last two or three thousand miles since I last had it off, but it seems to be the logical suspect now.

Why is it everytime there's a problem with my bike it turns out to be my own fault? Fuckin' Honda.....you'd think it'd give me something to fix every so often without making me look like a jackass :???:

Why is it everytime there's a problem with my bike it turns out to be my own fault? Fuckin' Honda.....you'd think it'd give me something to fix every so often without making me look like a jackass :???:

Like my recent experience with dumping coolant all over the street and having the bike picked up by HRCA and having the fairing fucked up by the straps that the driver used all because the toggle switch that I'd installed for my driving lights shorted against the frame and blew the fuse on my radiator fan. :oops:

Yeah, I was sorry to read about that little incident, at least mine did it in my own garage.

Is the towing company or HRCA going to make it right? Sorry if I missed that in another thread.

Is the towing company or HRCA going to make it right? Sorry if I missed that in another thread.

HRCA is arranging a meeting between me and the owner of the towing company with the expectation that their insurance company will take care of the damage. It appears that HRCA stays quite involved in that process. Although it's not completely clear yet... it also appears that if it is not resolved in that way, HRCA takes responsibility for damage caused by their contractors.

I'm supposed to meet later this week and I'll do a seperate posting letting everyone know how things go.