CBR1100XX.org Forum

PAIR Valve question

beondwacko

I just did the block off deal with the pair valves as I was changing the plugs. I got the bike back together and started it up, and it ran fine. One thing I did notice though was a different sound from the engine. I plugged the breather from the valvecover and air box but it almost sounds like the thing is running with the valve cover off. Or I sould say like it has an open breather.

WHen I mounted the block off plate , I did not use silicone being that the mounting surfaces were o ringed. I hate to combine the two. I torqued the plates down plenty well and used the correct bolts that came with them. Has anyone else noticed a different engine tone after doing this mod ? I'm asking this before I take it all apart again for inspection.

As i was reflecting the job a little while ago, I think I remember what I did or didn't do. There are supposed to be 2 breather hoses that attach to the air box aren't there? I remeber that there was one on the right side for sure, and I think as I was lifing the base of the airbox off that there might have been one on the left side as well. THe one that might have been on the left side slipped off on it's own and if that's true, I think I forgot to put it back on. I remeber that the right side one was clamped, but I can't remember if there was one on the left side.

I'll have to take it apart tommorow after work and double check things.

As i was reflecting the job a little while ago, I think I remember what I did or didn't do. There are supposed to be 2 breather hoses that attach to the air box aren't there? I remeber that there was one on the right side for sure, and I think as I was lifing the base of the airbox off that there might have been one on the left side as well. THe one that might have been on the left side slipped off on it's own and if that's true, I think I forgot to put it back on. I remeber that the right side one was clamped, but I can't remember if there was one on the left side.

I'll have to take it apart tommorow after work and double check things.

I recently did the same block-off but used rubber plugs and I noticed no change in the sound of the engine. Sounds to me as if you found the problem; a loose hose or something like that. I did the same thing, but it was a small vacuum hose between carbs 1 and 2 and only noticed it after trying to sync the carbs after blocking-off the PAIR valve.

Mike

SHit,

I thought that there might have been 2 hoses and not one. Like I said before, the left side one just slipped off without me havingto work at it or to release a clamp. That's why I forgot it. I figure it shouldn't take me more than about 15 min' to fix it , but wow do I hate having to prop the tank up. PITA.

Yes, there are two hoses that attach to the airbox.

Hmmmm... That's funny... I distictly remember there only being 1. On the right side. Yes there were 2 hoses that connected to the seperate reed valve covers... but only one to the airbox.

I also did not use any silicone..... and Heard no difference in the sound.

If you did have a leak... on one of the plates... it would sound almost like a Tapping noise...

There's only one for the PAIR system, but there is another one going somewhere else if I remember right. Then again, I might not remember right. I removed my pair system and seem to remember one hose remaining, like a crankcase breather or something...

If you are using Red J's block-off plates you need to make sure you did not install the block-off plates backwards. There are two small screws in the valve cover that attach the reed valves. The heads of those screws need to fit into the indentations on the block-off plates.

If you are using Red J's block-off plates you need to make sure you did not install the block-off plates backwards. There are two small screws in the valve cover that attach the reed valves. The heads of those screws need to fit into the indentations on the block-off plates.

You should also check to be sure the plates are actually in contact with the valve cover;

the original pair valve covers are thicker than Red J's plates and, if the bolts are too long

because of the thinner dimensions, even with the bolts torqued down, the plates will be loose

and you will not have a good seal. This was the case for me; shorter bolts solved the problem.

Fixed.

They were not Jeremy's plates ( short notice issue ) and I didn't notice that the reed valves are supposed to be removed , not just covered. So in my semi exhausted state last night while working on the bike after a long hard day in the heat, I put the new plates on and there was an interference issue with the screws on thereed valves that I SHOULD have removed and didn't. So when I got home today, I cheated a little. When I wasn't able to pull the #1 phillips screws out of the reed valves ( See Cursing loudly at this point ) I just ended up putting back on the orig' vented covers and used the old hoseing from the soleinoid to connect the two together. Fixed. PAIR defeated with out using block off plates. I finaly took the bike out for a short ride tonight after hanging the new exhaust, it it felt nice. The TBR slip on's have a great rumble but they don't scream, and no more backfires on decel either.

PCIII instlled and mapped tommorow night. Yeah !