CBR1100XX.org Forum

Powdercoating swing arm

sokanxx

I have decided that this winter Dec- January. I am going to powdercoat the swingarm black. The pegs and sets will remain silver, but I want to match the swing arm as best I can to the frame color. I was hopeing someone here has done this before with great results and could share what finish best matches the frame.

You're screwed........... :icon_biggrin:

I searched high and low and there really is no powdercoat color that matches the frame. The XX frame is painted with a very dark, matte finished, charcoal and I couldn't seem to find a powder that matched.

The closest you can get is a 99% flat black. Totally flat black will have a rough texture and will look similiar but not perfect.

You won't find a powder coat that color but their is a way to match spray on, go to a car parts store that mix auto paint they can hook you up by looking at the color and mathing it to some chip books. PPG also has what is called the profit it is a paint analizer and if there is enough surface area they can scan the frame and mix you up a pint. hope this helps, sounds like a good idea i would like to see more black on my 03 also.

firtsly, just forgive me if i write in the wrong department, i just a beginner in this.

i just wanna ask about my cbr 1100xx, there has a problem in PGM FI ( light is on in Fi indicator) and it make impact in 1 until 3 rpm when i accelerate it , what i suppose to do? please give me some suggestion, thanks alot

OK,

You just hijacked your first thread. Congrats. You'll need to be a little more descriptive about your problem, how it started, what you were doing before it started , how your bike is set up etc.

Anyway, back to the original thread.

Has anyone tried to mix colors to make a custom one? I would think that black with a touch of grey and silver and maybe a pinch of copper color mixed together would possibly emulate the color of the frame. Of course this would take some experimentation to see what happens but the DYI kits aren't too terribly expensive. Just don't use the electric oven in your kitchen. You cookies will never taste the same afterwards.

I'll probibly just go with the 99% flat black. My next question would be what is the best way to support the XX while my swing arms is at the powdercoaters? Can I just put down the center stand and remove the swingarm or is there another better way? thanks!

• 2 months later...

I searched high and low and there really is no powdercoat color that matches the frame. The XX frame is painted with a very dark, matte finished, charcoal and I couldn't seem to find a powder that matched.

The closest you can get is a 99% flat black. Totally flat black will have a rough texture and will look similiar but not perfect.

Jeff,

I went with the black texture, and the color matched the frame very well in most all light. True, the arm was textured and the frame was not, but in photos and real life, it worked very well fuckyouverymuch. :icon_razz:

IPB Image

sokanxx,

If you have not yet done it, send your swingarm to lorac in Wichita and specify black texture if you like the way mine looks.

They also will provide a plate which has been coated so that you can take it home and see for yourself the comparison against the frame.

Cool thanks I may have to do that.

Right now I have some pieces of the F4i out being powdercoated by a shop here in Lawrence. i should get them back next week. If they match well I will probibly stick with this guy. he seems like he actually cares how stuff turns out, we spent about 20 minutes looking through colors before getting the frame color for the F4i.

Also I bought some machined frame plugs for the XX off ebay and am having them powdercoated to match the frame. depending on how well they match I will decide weather to take my swingarm to this guy in Lawrence or take you up on your offer.

Your XX looks great with the black swingarm. Have you got your pegs and sets polished? That is something I have been thinking about doing to contrast with all the black.

About how long does it take to remove the swingarm? I may be able to get to it sometime this week, since the weather looks shitty pretty much all week.

Any reason your not running any bar ends?

I have no affiliation with Lorac, they're just who did my swingarm.

The swingarm takes a few minutes to remove once you have the shock out and the wheel off. My bike was pretty well disassembled when I finally took the arm off, so I don't recall how long it took me.

Rider and pillion pegs were polished, and it did contrast well, but the heel guards on the rider pegs were always, always scuffed from the boots. If I had it to do over again, I'd just get the pegs powdercoated black.

The bar ends were being swapped out for throttlemeisters in that pic, and I hadn't put the TMs on yet.

J.

Well it looks good thats for sure. I think i kind of like the idea of polishing the pegs, if the heelguards scuff who cares, it shows that you ride the thing. I have worked at Harley dealerships for a while now and anymore the thing i appreciate most on motorcycles is that they have miles on them.

If you are ever in Lawrence swing out to North Lawrence we are opening up a new Harley dealership and I will be working at the parts counter. Probibly dont have anything that will fit the XX, but just so you know thats where I will be most hours.

Jeff,

I went with the black texture, and the color matched the frame very well in most all light. True, the arm was textured and the frame was not, but in photos and real life, it worked very well fuckyouverymuch. :icon_razz:

Hey Now.

I went with the flat black powder as well. It looked close but I'm rather particular so I then painted the frame, swingarm, footpegs, shifter, frame plugs, brake lever, and shock dogbones to match. Flat black paint covered with a matte clearcoat made it all match nicely.

IPB Image

Nice exhaust huh Jer? :icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin:

Jeff,

Hey Now.

I went with the flat black powder as well. It looked close but I'm rather particular so I then painted the frame, swingarm, footpegs, shifter, frame plugs, brake lever, and shock dogbones to match. Flat black paint covered with a matte clearcoat made it all match nicely.

IPB Image

Nice exhaust huh Jer? :icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin:

Where did you get the tail section from? Looks sweet!!!!