CBR1100XX.org Forum

Cleaning the pipes

Flitemdic

I picked up a plastic bag on the exhaust pipe from the header to the slip on. It melted. Now it's a hard crust on the pipe. The guy at the dealer suggested steel wool, but I hate to mark up the chrome.

Who knows a good product or suggestion to take this stuff off?

I figure with all the show quality cleaning jobs guys, (and girls), here have, this should be an easy one.

I get burnt marks on my mid pipes of my Leo Vince's from my big ass foot touching them with my riding boots when really railing and switching from left to right..

I get an old sock and take a good dipping of Mother's and wrap the sock around the pipe and buff it and applying some pressure to it. Normally takes a few socks and reapplying but takes it off.

sometimes with stubborn melted on shit (or plastic) I've had luck heating the pipes back up, softening the material, then scraping it off or using a polish or cleaner. Use a thick towel so you don't get burned especially near the headers and mid pipes.

I The guy at the dealer suggested steel wool, but I hate to mark up the chrome.

Oh lordy, this is where I prove how stupid I am, are the pipes on the BB not stainless?

All great suggestions. Thanks a million guys. As for the above- good point. I hadn't thought about that, maybe it wouldn't mark up- but with all these other products, I ain't gonna risk it.

Thanks again.