CBR1100XX.org Forum

OVERHEATING???

cbr1100xxflame

I am not sure but my bike seems to be running hot. What is the average temp that it should be running in AZ?

Most of the time its 215 but sometimes I have seen 235. Is this normal?

And are there anyways to reduce this high heat?

Use the search feature, there is tonn's of stuff already covered on this topic... :icon_biggrin:

I am not sure but my bike seems to be running hot. What is the average temp that it should be running in AZ?

Most of the time its 215 but sometimes I have seen 235. Is this normal?

And are there anyways to reduce this high heat?

That is hot. Out in the open air (not behind a car, truck, or bike) at 65mph you should run under 200.

If you got the bike used or have not changed it, I would first change the collant.

In AZ you could run Engine Ice or just Water Wetter and plain water. Make sure the collant is filled.

You didn't list what year your bike is, but it any case you should probably go throught the trouble of running a Jug of Super Flush through your motor...... to remove any scaleing and or film build-up on the inner metal walls.

Birds do run hot and clean air is important. I have seen 210 F in 100 degree weather. Higher if I am under 45mph or behind cages or bikes.

Flow seems to be very important on all cooling systems. Water and Air. I forget what color silicate based coolant is, but I have read that it will damage a birds waterpump. If you bought used, you might have the wrong type. A radiator shop should be able to tell you if your radiator is not flowing well enough. I would even try removing the thermostat, in case it is not opening fully.

If the problem is only in stop and go, or at speeds lower than 45mph, I would check out the fan. The cooling system can not cope with extended stop and go with high outside temps.

215 is not out of the ordinary. 235 is up there but depending on conditions it's reasonable.

On the topic, anyone notice how damn small the fan is compared to the radiator. You could easily fit another one side by side if you shifted the factory one over. Also the fan shrouding does not completely cover the radiator if I remember right (might not) thus not cooling the entire radiator, so it seems the stock fan is inadequately sized and inefficently mounted.

Down here in the land of heat and humidity, my bike runs right at 182 in clean air at 5K RPM. Get behind some traffic and it's up into the 190's. Stop at a light or cruise in town and it sits around 200 or so. My fan comes on at 212 and if a light is long, I can see 215 to 217 on a 90+ degree day. Thermostat opens at 174 degrees and that is where it runs when in the rain (best cooling as you get the evaporative on the radiator).

I saw the same coolant temps on my trip to Houston awhile back and air temps were over 100 every day. I know it can get to well over 110 in AZ during the day so your bike might run a bit hotter but 235 is really hot. As others have said, change your coolant. I'd stick with the Honda stuff and change it once a year. It really can make a difference. A flush prior to change is not a bad idea either.

As to the Engine Ice, or Water Wetter stuff, I have used it, not on my 'bird but on a few cars. It works but, down here, freezing is not an issue. I do remember that it can get well below freezing in some parts of AZ during the winter nights so, depending on your location, you might take that into consideration.