CBR1100XX.org Forum

Clutch Lever - need help!

aneura

So this it the very last thing i have to do before i am on the road...but I’m stumped. :icon_wall:

TOXXIC was gracious enough to hook me up with some levers, all I need to do is get them on the bike. The brake lever was no biggie, but I a having issues with the clutch side. I have included a pic below for visual...

Red - No spring hole in the new lever, is that ok? Can I just cinch it down?

Blue - This is the big one, it doesn’t really some to hold on to that little fitting very well...again, it i tighten the hell out of the big wheel nut, I think it will hold(?)...but I don’t really know for sure. thoughts?

Green - Just noting the hole goes all the way through on the new lever...I don’t think it makes a difference.

I am fairly mechanically inclined, but i have almost zero experience with motorcycles with regards to repair. :icon_redface: Any help would be appreciated. I just need to know how to get this together on the new (black) lever…I’d really hate for it to fall of while riding down the road! :icon_neutral:

Thanks!!

Obviously the (old) stock is on the right and the new black is on the left....

IPB Image

Here are th rest of the parts

IPB Image

So this it the very last thing i have to do before i am on the road...but I’m stumped. :icon_wall:

TOXXIC was gracious enough to hook me up with some levers, all I need to do is get them on the bike. The brake lever was no biggie, but I a having issues with the clutch side. I have included a pic below for visual...

Red - No spring hole in the new lever, is that ok? Can I just cinch it down?

Blue - This is the big one, it doesn’t really some to hold on to that little fitting very well...again, it i tighten the hell out of the big wheel nut, I think it will hold(?)...but I don’t really know for sure. thoughts?

Green - Just noting the hole goes all the way through on the new lever...I don’t think it makes a difference.

I am fairly mechanically inclined, but i have almost zero experience with motorcycles with regards to repair. :icon_redface: Any help would be appreciated. I just need to know how to get this together on the new (black) lever…I’d really hate for it to fall of while riding down the road! :icon_neutral:

Thanks!!

Obviously the (old) stock is on the right and the new black is on the left....

IPB Image

Here are th rest of the parts

IPB Image

That's a weird deal right there. The "L" shapped peice must be used to locate and actuate the plunger that goes into the clutch master. The lever is useless without it. Being that the blue arrow shows that the bushing is as short as it is, I can't see that this lever is correct for your bike. That bushing locates the "L" assembly and the adjuster sits in the spot where the green arrow is shown via a "barrel". It won't matter that the hole is cast right on through the other end. Also no tension spring hole? Something is wrong here. The spring keeps both tension on the plunger going into the clutch master but also allows a little reverse movement and it also keeps the entire linkage under tension.

I've got those levers and mine was just a pop on. Off with the old, on with the new. Let me take some pics in the AM, and I'll post up- maybe that will help. I wonder if you've got the right set, though. The wrong set would show up more on the clutch side, the brake side is pretty much universal for all the CBR series. I'll get back to you.

My previous sets were plug and play as Flitemedic noted. However, these were a little different.

Eric, I just took mine off my bike, took it apart and took pictures. The spring doesn't make any difference. The small, brass colored pin aligns on the end of the clutch plunger. (You just need to make sure to line it all up.) Uploading pics now. However, my printer/reader has been acting up.

The

I do agree there is not alot of bushing to grab, but once it is installed next to the resevoir it is a very tight fit. I do recall using some of the bushings and parts from the stock Honda lever; which it looks like you still have.

Key thing is be patient, it's like a cognitive puzzle. Also, the long screw threads down through the shaft and does not need to be reefed into place. (You will simply mar the head of the fastener.) Obviously once the nut is installed it will keep the screw from backing out on you.

If you need more help, don't hesitate to call.