CBR1100XX.org Forum

Steering Dampner

Yakasuko

Joe and Dion are correct aboot the geometry...Passenger riding and

The headshake with luggage is an issue.. I find I can take both hands off the bars as long as I have the throttlemeister on... It is when I hae both hands off and no throttle maintainence...

Hey, aren't you suppose to be studying anatomy?

I'm going to run "The Texas Mile" this fall - their rules require a steering damper on any motorcycle that runs 140 mph+ ... I think the Blackbird qualifies ... :icon_evilgrin:

I need to find one soon, along with a full set of leathers, a new helmet, gloves, boots - starting to sound like a lot of cash :icon_eek:

The damper for the Bird that Hyper-Pro has, fits only the pre-2oo1K birds. I know, because I am the person who found out for them and worked with Hyper-Pro USA and Holland on this. if your bike is newer than that, the frame bracket can be modified to fit.

Howie

Good to know - my bird is a 97 - should fit just fine ... are there any tricks or tips to getting it mounted??

Just follow the directions...Howie

I've maintained that the XX does not NEED a steering damper. It is a stable chassis that works well, is predictable and steady.

However, changes to the chassis and suspension can affect that stability negatively, and make the XX prone to headshake. If those changes occur, the addition of a steering damper can be an appropriate response, and a positive modification to the XX.

What might those changes be? Well, here's a few examples.....

*Alteration of the steering geometry that quickens the steering...the reason that many sportbikes need dampers right from the factory. That might include things like raising the rear, dropping the front triples, or using different weight springs in the front.

*Degradation of the chassis components. This is normal wear in many instances, and can include slight loosening of the headstock bearing and both front and rear tire wear.

*Changes in chassis flex or loading, such as occurs with the addition of popular bolt on baggage frame systems.

*Changes in chassis loading that occurs with adding a passenger, several cases of beer, or simple accessories that alter the front/rear weight distribution.

*Changes in dynamic forces acting upon the chassis caused by modification such as installing premium high performance tires, lighter or wider rims, or significant increases in horsepower from the use of big-bore kits, turbocharging, or nitrous injection systems.

*Global warming and sunspots.

Hope this helps.

You forgot to mention fat chicks on the back seat.