CBR1100XX.org Forum

Steering Dampner

Yakasuko

Guest rockmeupto125

Yes. Ohlins and HyperPro offer them. There are adapters to fit Scotts dampers. And a couple other companies make them...just can't think of the names right now.

Guys, just wondering do they offer a dampner for the blackbird?

They don't actually list one for the BB but this looks like the one on mine http://www.moto-racing.co.uk/ccp51/media/i...Wp%20damper.jpg The loop end conects to the clip on near the switches and the bracket connects to a post arrangement that connects to the frame somewhere through the fairing infill about 4" from the tank. The damper seems to work well although I don't know what it would be like without one as it was on there when I bought the bike :icon_eh: Does seem to help somewhat when the front comes down from a wheelie crossed up :icon_eek: The only disadvantage is that it does trap my thumb between it and the switchgear when on full left lock although when I put risers or VTech bars on should be ok :icon_think: and of course you have to drill a hole in the infill panel :icon_doh:

ok, enlighten me. Why do you feel you need one?

Just thought at high speeds you would want one because of the looseness in the steering??? :icon_think:

You know, I was going to ask the same question about WHY? but didn't post it, and was waiting for Joe or someone to kick in with a reason. The 'bird is so stable for me, that I can't imagine needing one. I don't know if you're new to the bike, but it's not like an RC or a VFR. The bike is heavy for a sportbike, and if your wheel is wandering, you've either got a tire or steering head problem. I have my bike repeatedly into the "5 over" territory, and except for a slow side to side in the wind at much, much more than "5 over", there is no movement in the front end of my bike at all. EXCEPT when my tires are getting old, then I get a fast shake at about 45 mph. I think I read where a change in the geometry of the bike- different forks or higher shim on the back- is sometimes problematic, but that's it.

Of course, if you're gonna embrace your inner squid, and do this riding on one wheel of which my friend speaks, then all bets are off. :icon_hand:

I think I read where a change in the geometry of the bike- different forks or higher shim on the back- is sometimes problematic, but that's it.

Correct. if you raise the rear and or lower the forks it quickens the handling(decreases stability) also, depending on load and suspension your geometry could change also. I don't have a damper on my BB but have the rear shimed and forks dropped to the point where it is up to the edge of tank slapping wothout actually look over.

Guest rockmeupto125

I've maintained that the XX does not NEED a steering damper. It is a stable chassis that works well, is predictable and steady.

However, changes to the chassis and suspension can affect that stability negatively, and make the XX prone to headshake. If those changes occur, the addition of a steering damper can be an appropriate response, and a positive modification to the XX.

What might those changes be? Well, here's a few examples.....

*Alteration of the steering geometry that quickens the steering...the reason that many sportbikes need dampers right from the factory. That might include things like raising the rear, dropping the front triples, or using different weight springs in the front.

*Degradation of the chassis components. This is normal wear in many instances, and can include slight loosening of the headstock bearing and both front and rear tire wear.

*Changes in chassis flex or loading, such as occurs with the addition of popular bolt on baggage frame systems.

*Changes in chassis loading that occurs with adding a passenger, several cases of beer, or simple accessories that alter the front/rear weight distribution.

*Changes in dynamic forces acting upon the chassis caused by modification such as installing premium high performance tires, lighter or wider rims, or significant increases in horsepower from the use of big-bore kits, turbocharging, or nitrous injection systems.

*Global warming and sunspots.

Hope this helps.

I used to think that the 'bird would never need a steering damper until one night during a stoplight dragrace with my friend I experienced a tankslapper from hell.

I blame it on the road as it was one of those that had the indentations from cage/truck tires in it. The kind that resemble two gutters from a bowling alley, only more shallow.

Anyway, the front tire got light from the shift from first to second and when it came down the oscillations started. They went from a mild shake to a full blown slapper that took the bars close to lock on each side. I tried everything that I've learned in the past about tankslappers to get it to stop, but nothing seemed to work. Fortunately they subsided before I ran out of real estate or ate asphalt.

I still haven't installed a damper, and have never experienced another slapper, but I can see the desire to have one as extra insurance. I've had some close calls and even crashes, but that was probably the single most scary incident I've experienced on the 'bird.

Yeah, I know I'm a squid for street racing, but in my defense it was in the middle of the night and there was absolutely no traffic to be found. Besides, we never went 5mph over. :icon_wink:

Thanks all for the input, I guess if it ain't broke don't fix it huh?? :icon_snooty: Well I was just curious because I have experienced some steering wobble at high speeds, but then maybe I should just let off the throttle a little.... :icon_evilgrin:

Yes. Ohlins and HyperPro offer them. There are adapters to fit Scotts dampers. And a couple other companies make them...just can't think of the names right now.

Hyperpro discontinued the steering-damper for the Blackbird. It needed drilling a hole in the fairing, and they made a decision (late 2005) to discontinue all steering-dampers for all bikes that needed changes to the bike that could not easily be reversed. You might find some old left-over stock somewhere, but they will not produce it anymore.

They also told me that if your Blackbird needs one, you should first try and find out what the problem is, because it is not normal....

Well I was just curious because I have experienced some steering wobble at high speeds,

On the XX? If you haven't, made modifications to the bike as described above, then something is wrong. Look at your tires first. If you bought used then check to see if there are washers on top of the rear shock. Owners have reported some instability if they raise it too much. (above 6mm)

Guest rockmeupto125

Given the nature of the beast, and the nature of the beast in ourselves, we all might use a little extra insurance. Situations such as Jason described, or the dip in the country road that might bottom the front suspension or get you air time when travelled at more than 5 over can and do occur.

Personally, I never exceed the speed limit, but I do put on some miles. I could stop every 3000 miles and mount a new front tire, or not take any luggage to avoid the gentle headshake so many people report occasionally occurs at highway speeds...and stops with but a single finger on the bar. But there are times when I just need to have two hands free or be forced to stop...and I just would prefer to be able to straighten my cuff, tuck a flap, or pull up a vent zipper without having to pull over. These little things take mere seconds to accomplish if I can just take both hands off the bars. Anyway, that's a good enough reason for a steering damper in my opinion.

A steering damper is a basic unit whether its a Scotts, Ohlins, HyperPro, or what have you. Its the mounting hardware that varies from bike to bike, as BackStreet says.

I'm going to run "The Texas Mile" this fall - their rules require a steering damper on any motorcycle that runs 140 mph+ ... I think the Blackbird qualifies ... :icon_evilgrin:

I need to find one soon, along with a full set of leathers, a new helmet, gloves, boots - starting to sound like a lot of cash :icon_eek:

Guest rockmeupto125

txdblx...I just got off the phone with HyperPro USA...they have the damper kit for your bike in stock...available in racey colors. Check www.hyperprousa.com for info, and if you can't find the phone number there, you can get if from www.hyperpro.com if you look under "dealers."

txdblx...I just got off the phone with HyperPro USA...they have the damper kit for your bike in stock...available in racey colors. Check www.hyperprousa.com for info, and if you can't find the phone number there, you can get if from www.hyperpro.com if you look under "dealers."

Thanks for the tip!! I'll give them a call ... :icon_cool:

I'm going to run "The Texas Mile" this fall - their rules require a steering damper on any motorcycle that runs 140 mph+ ... I think the Blackbird qualifies ... :icon_evilgrin:

I need to find one soon, along with a full set of leathers, a new helmet, gloves, boots - starting to sound like a lot of cash :icon_eek:

The damper for the Bird that Hyper-Pro has, fits only the pre-2oo1K birds. I know, because I am the person who found out for them and worked with Hyper-Pro USA and Holland on this. if your bike is newer than that, the frame bracket can be modified to fit.

Howie

The damper for the Bird that Hyper-Pro has, fits only the pre-2oo1K birds. I know, because I am the person who found out for them and worked with Hyper-Pro USA and Holland on this. if your bike is newer than that, the frame bracket can be modified to fit.

Howie

Good to know - my bird is a 97 - should fit just fine ... are there any tricks or tips to getting it mounted??

Joe and Dion are correct aboot the geometry...Passenger riding and

The headshake with luggage is an issue.. I find I can take both hands off the bars as long as I have the throttlemeister on... It is when I hae both hands off and no throttle maintainence...