CBR1100XX.org Forum

K & N air filters

Canadian Bird

What is the prefered frequency for cleaning/oiling the K & N? 2nd ? Is the KnN really preferable to the OEM from Honda?

My buddy has a 01 and lives in town, he does his once a season....I live down a mile of gravel road, I do mine twice a season.

What is the prefered frequency for cleaning/oiling the K & N? 2nd ? Is the KnN really preferable to the OEM from Honda?

To me it's preferable. If I lived in Canada I'd do it every year during the off when it's dark and I'm snowed in (Yeah BC exception made) just for something to do. hhheehehehehe Otherwise I do it every 5M-8M miles or about every other oil change.

To me it's preferable. If I lived in Canada I'd do it every year during the off when it's dark and I'm snowed in (Yeah BC exception made) just for something to do. hhheehehehehe Otherwise I do it every 5M-8M miles or about every other oil change.

You actually clean and oil you Kan N every oil change? Yikes! I'm behind.

You actually clean and oil you Kan N every oil change? Yikes! I'm behind.

Dont day teach ya'll to read up dare?

Every OTHER oil change my friend.

I wouldn't clean the filter very often. If you look at the K&N box, it say to allow the filter to be dirty. This block more particles allowing cleaner air into the motor. I previously posted this topic. The end result is a K&N allows greater airflow while not stopping smaller dirt and other particles as would an OEM filter. The increase in airflow to the airbox my cause turbulance thus decreasing the output of the motor.

DUCE

I wouldn't clean the filter very often. If you look at the K&N box, it say to allow the filter to be dirty. This block more particles allowing cleaner air into the motor. I previously posted this topic. The end result is a K&N allows greater airflow while not stopping smaller dirt and other particles as would an OEM filter. The increase in airflow to the airbox my cause turbulance thus decreasing the output of the motor.

DUCE

Thanks, however I'm unsure how often is too often. Time or milage? I checked my records and I confess it's been 50,000 highway kms since I had the K an N cleaned and oiled. 99.999 % hot, dry, touring kms. Is it time to clean and oil it? Cheers

DUCE

Yeah right, so a clogged filter flows better than a clean one.

Therefore, you don't need a high flow filter (like K&N), so stick whith the OEM. Tell that to a dirt biker :icon_duh:

Because of this marketing bullshit of K&N i tend to use stock filters.

The airbox acts as an air reservoir for the engine. If you competely remove the air filter, it is very likely that turbulent flow might be experienced. It occur to me, when I had my car on the dyno and I run it with the filter removed from the air box (well it 1 or 2% less hp contrary to the common belief that it would run better). But then again car air boxes are somewhat generic and not specifically designed and tuned as in fast bikes (not to mention the absence of ram air).

My suggestion is to clean it when it gets black (not all the filter but where the air enters it). If you are not to anal, just wait until the engine side gets darker. There is not really a mileage limit because of the climatological and pollution differences between areas, but after the first couple of times you will know (or feel) when.

DUCE

Therefore, you don't need a high flow filter (like K&N), so stick whith the OEM. Tell that to a dirt biker :icon_duh:

The airbox acts as an air reservoir for the engine. If you competely remove the air filter, it is very likely that turbulent flow might be experienced. It occur to me, when I had my car on the dyno and I run it with the filter removed from the air box (well it 1 or 2% less hp contrary to the common belief that it would run better). But then again car air boxes are somewhat generic and not specifically designed and tuned as in fast bikes (not to mention the absence of ram air).

My suggestion is to clean it when it gets black (not all the filter but where the air enters it). If you are not to anal, just wait until the engine side gets darker. There is not really a mileage limit because of the climatological and pollution differences between areas, but after the first couple of times you will know (or feel) when.

Years ago I had a "Finer Filter" foam air cleaner on my 78 F100 4WD and the manufacturer actually said with those that as it got dirty rotate it slightly so that the dirty part was away from the air cleaner box inlet and keep doing this until the whole filter was really dirty then take out wash with cleaner and re-oil, seemed to work ok - it ended up falling apart before I got to wash it more than once :icon_eek: About 5 years on the vehicle though :icon_think:

DUCE

K&N air filter service instructions:

Step 11 Performance Hints:

Service every 50,000-100,000 on street driving applications. Service more often in off-road or heavy dust conditions or when air filter reaches 18" of restrictions. Let the dirt "build-up" work for you; it will not hurt the performance and actually help filter the air.